FreeBSD with Linux Kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the OP is a troll. It seemed like a genuine, albeit silly, question. The question is probably borne out of ignorance of what FreeBSD is (an OPERATING SYSTEM) compared to Linux (a KERNEL) and the misguided assumption that they can be simply swapped around.

My request was for the moderators to close this because it's just more of the same. I wasn't asking for anyone to be banned or the thread to be deleted, just closed as the answer has been given. They can choose to ignore me if they want. I'm used to being ignored. 🤪

At the very least, though, and not wishing to tell them their 'job', I would think it should be moved to off-topic?

I regulary talk with linux user that want experiment BSD.
And it is exactly like when a Windows user buy a mac and ask why there is only one menu in top of the screen and how to detach this menu in each windows.
If FreeBSD accept that the project is open, it is open. So «stupide» question appear just because somebody try it (by curiosity)
And sorry, the question is not that stupid.
If Linux is a good kernel and well maintained, use it in FreeBSD may be relevant to accelerate other developments (bhyve, zfs, jails, pkg, doc...)
The reason that it is not a good idea is not obvious.
The better answer I could let here (as I am NOT a OS dev) is «as the FreeBSD userland was not developed in scope of portability, it depends of the FreeBSD kernel.»

And the NDH syndrome seems to affect some FreeBSD user, no ? ;)
(Smiley added here, be careful, irony behind !)

I get your point.
The question was posed by the OP almost like something asked of a student for their homework assignment.

Oh, and the question is silly. "FreeBSD base"? What is that? Is the question stupid? No.

Oh, and the question is silly. "FreeBSD base"? What is that? Is the question stupid? No.
FreeBSD base = FreeBSD userland. It comes from the misconception of most Linux users:

Linux = Linux kernel + GNU userland

=> FreeBSD = FreeBSD kernel + FreeBSD userland

The GNU userland is independent from the Linux kernel, it also used by other systems. So let's assume it's the same for the FreeBSD userland, too.

So what about a custom OS = Linux kernel + FreeBSD userland?

It's what this thread all about.

But if the OP researched a bit before he asked, he will not waste his time started this thread.

But what if he already know it by a quick Google search but still started the thread?

This way he could not have good intention. He could just want to start an Internet flame war here and laughed hard in front of the monitor, watching we being trolled but completely don't know that we are being played.

All of that is just my own speculation and could be wrong. But it came from my own experience with people usually asked such questions on this forums. I didn't accuse the OP as being a troll, though.

On simple solution is to open a new Thread for this kind of question.
Move all «kernel/init/container...» questions that seems to be «how it work on FreeBSD» in this Thread.

I've been thinking on this for a while. A few months ago I sold my ageing iMac and decided I couldn't afford to replace it with another Mac, so decided to go down the self-build route.
But what OS to install? I've not used Windows at home since ~2006 and I don't find it comfortable to use. All my personal servers and laptop run FreeBSD, and utilities I use on macOS came from FreeBSD originally; but there is software I want to run that doesn't run on FreeBSD but does on Linux (Reaper, Steam).

I've ended up installing Arch Linux on the new desktop, and it's fine, but it ain't FreeBSD.

My (almost certainly naive) thought was that having a Linux kernel, and >90% FreeBSD userland (with additional "Linux" libraries (e.g. glibc)) would give me the best of both worlds - except of course it doesn't exist, and if it did it would have such a small user base it would probably be old/unstable/poorly supported, so it likely would be the worst of all worlds.

So let's assume it's the same for the FreeBSD userland, too.
It's not. It's not even supported to run a different version of the kernel compare to the base. The kernel and "world" are a complete set. The kernel belongs to the base and the base belongs with the kernel. You cannot mix and match here.

The original question has been answered. The rest of this discussion is pointless. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back