FreeBSD Wifi Easy Connect

Hi,

I have some problems while connecting to WiFi from my notebook. When I start, I first create the cloned interface:

[cmd=]ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev bwn0[/cmd]

After that I set it up:

[cmd=]ifconfig wlan0 up[/cmd]

After that I scan available access points:

[cmd=]ifconfig wlan0 scan[/cmd]

After that I choose my SSID/BSSID:

[cmd=]ifconfig wlan0 ssid 'my_network_name'[/cmd]

When I run the dhclient:

[cmd=]dhclient wlan0[/cmd]

I get error
Code:
wlan0: no link ............. giving up

The 'my_network_name' is not secured in any way, status of my bwn0 interface is 'associated', but wlan0 is still 'no carrier'.

Am I missing some step? Or doing something wrong? Please help :(

Hi dlovasko,

Try this:

# kldload if_bwn
# echo wlans_bwn0=\"wlan0\" >> /etc/rc.conf
# echo ifconfig_wlan0=\"DHCP\" >> /etc/rc.conf
# service netif restart

The SSID has to come from somewhere. Even with no encryption, wpa_supplicant.conf(5) can be used. But please, please use WPA2. It's so much easier than changing all your passwords and explaining things to the ISP, the bank, and the police.

First, thanks for quick answers, but:

@bkouhli, if_bwn is loaded in boot time, I checked with kldstat. Where exactly in your tutorial is the 'set the SSID' part? After doing the things you suggested, the computer froze and nothing worked, after the service netif restart command.

@wblock@ the SSID comes from information listed by ifconfig wlan0 scan. And the WiFi access point is not mine, it is just some public free hot spot (like in restaurant or so :) If I should use wpa_supplicant - I can add the 'network' section with SSID and no key management, but how can I say to wpa_supplicant which network section to use? Only by setting the priority integer?

I was responding to bkouhi's post, which does not set the SSID. Yes, you can set an SSID without encryption in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. I have never experimented with selecting from multiple networks other than by editing /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.

Remember that everything you send over open wifi is visible.

Back