FreeBSD virtualization survey

I have been a non-voluntary virtualization user for over two years now. I inherited bunch of Red Hat machines with running VirtualBox as well as Debian Dom0 which is still running. In the mean time I migrated VirtualBox instances to Red Hat KVM running unsuccessfully for a brief period of time VirtualBox on FreeBSD. Recently I have been pushed to experiment with dockers. Having some working exposure of Jails the experience was awful.

I was wondering if somebody could give an overview of the current state of art of virtualization in FreeBSD world? I am curious to find out how long will it take for bhyve to become true production ready and how does it compare to KVM and Xen. I am also interested in status of FreeBSD Dom0 support for Xen. My original motivation for replacing VirtualBox with KVM was that KVM were part of Linux kernel and that Xen was removed from Red Hat few years ago. However Xen is probably the most widely used virtualization platform besides possibly VMware ESXi. Really I am interested in any serious evaluation papers on topic of virtualization.

Has anybody tried NetBSD Xen Dom0?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an extremely noobish question, and I'm not being facetious, but why would I use Bhyve over jails? I understand that Bhyve is true machine vitalization. Unless my objective is to run other operating systems other than FreeBSD. I may have answered my own question, but would like some clarification. If there is any to be had.

Back