Solved FreeBSD upgrade from 13.1 to 14 hangs and super slow.

Hello,

I followed the FreeBSD documentation on upgrade.

After the download and reboot then entering again:

freebsd-update install

Things got super duper slow, 2 hrs passed and still not finished. I have no sense of anything is being processed, no loading bar, it’s very primitive. I’ll never upgrade on FreeBSD, it’s broken.

I guess I’ll just shutdown my PC and burn a fresh copy of FreeBSD 14.1 ISO to a USB and do a new install, it’ll be less than 15 mins from burn to an installed system.

The annoying part will be transferring all of stuff from the “home” directory of my 13.1 to the new 14, that should also not take anymore than 30 mins.

Only reason I want to upgrade is simply because I want to use the latest nvidia-drivers and they don’t compile from ports tree on the 13.1, I get errors stating that 13.1 is outdated.

Also I’m getting some kind of messages stating “not a directory” during the upgrade of 14.1:

IMG_6064 Medium.jpeg

IMG_6066 Medium.png

What is this?:

IMG_6071 Medium.jpeg

Solved the issue.

Simply upgrade from 13.1 to 13.3 then to 14.1.
Everything works top notch.

Use bectl to create snapshots and jump back and forth to different working boot previous/present states.

FreeBSD at boot prompt has an option "boot environments" which can change to different working boot ZFS snapshots, usually when a "freebsd-upgrade" was taken place, it creates a snapshot automatically to quickly recover kernel crashes.

Back