FreeBSD ssh Access via Android ("lameix")

Good evening everyone:

First, I realize that the forum rules #7, https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/freebsd-forums-rules.38922/, admonish discussions of other operating systems, et al; however, I have recently found myself using an Android tablet (LG G Pad V700 . . .it was sort of a freebee for converting from AT&T's legacy DSL to U-verse); regardless while kicking and screaming, I'm beginning to appreciate the possibilities. I am not a smartypants cell phone user; I'm still quite satisfied with my Motorola Tundra flip phone - I can call someone and find out what time it is . . .don't regularly wear a watch.

Never-the-less, I've always thought that if and when I should upgrade to a "smart" phone, then it would be Android based because of the inherent incorporation of (parts of the) the Linux (lameix ???) OS.

I have install a terminal emulator app., and have ordered a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard; trying to use a virtual vt100 keyboard is very awkward for shell command input, etc. The next hurdle will be "rooting" it . . .a lame term the "culture" uses to refer to enabling root or superuser access.

OK, back to the possibilities . . .I'd like to experiment with using the tablet as a ssh terminal for remote CL access to my FreeBSD servers, thus allowing me to depend less on the necessity of carrying around a laptop as I have for years. So, my question is this: would a thread regarding using an Android tablet as a terminal device for ssh access to a FreeBSD server be acceptable to readers of this forum? If not, then I'll gladly delete this post and go away ;)

FYI, I have been using remote access sporadically to Linux and FreeBSD CLI with ssh via an Android device for over a year now. Works fine if one has a decent Bluetooth keyboard. Without an external keyboard it is ... painful.

This is great to know! As I mentioned, I'm pretty much a Luddite when it comes to smartypants phones and tablets, et al., even though I've worked almost forty years as a professional programmer-analyst (whatever). Regarding keyboards,
Works fine if one has a decent Bluetooth keyboard. Without an external keyboard it is ... painful.
I too, have realized that a dedicated keyboard is essential:
. . .have ordered a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard [model Y-R0021]; trying to use a virtual vt100 keyboard is very awkward for shell command input, etc.

If I run into problems, I may want to "pick your mind" regarding the same.

From Android devices, VXConnectBot along with Hacker's Keyboard works well to access FreeBSD and Linux stations via SSH. Been using the former since I got an Xperia Pro back in 2012 (hardware keyboard FTW!) And with the later since it was replaced with an Optimus G (no hardware keyboard - boooo).

Edit: Added hyperlinks to the Play Store for the two apps mentioned.

Last edited:
VXConnectBot along with Hacker's Keyboard works well to access FreeBSD and Linux stations via SSH.
+1

Hacker's Keyboard is really nice. It works well on my Galaxy S5 although the screen is a bit too small to make full use of the keyboard. On my Note however there's enough space and you get a "full" keyboard, function keys, control key, cursor keys, the whole lot.

Back