FreeBSD server like a Mac mini

I want to get a FreeBSD server that is a small, and nice (aesthetically) machine. Basically, I'm looking for something like a Mac mini, in terms of looks, but without of the extras (don't need such a graphics card, no hdmi, no wireless, no Snow Leopard, etc). Does any one have any tips what to get (FreeBSD installed is not a requirement, as I can put that on it myself)?

If this is for simple server duties without requiring a tonne of in-case storage, look into building a mini-ITX system using an Intel Atom (with nVidia ION if you need 3D graphics for anything). You can pick up barebones systems on NewEgg for around $200 CDN. Just add RAM and a harddrive, and you're done. Can even install the 64-bit version of FreeBSD (amd64).

Most of these mini-ITX cases are the same size as a Mac Mini, some even smaller. Depends how much storage space you need internally.

AMD Fusion CPUs (Bobcat I believe is the codename) will compete in the same arena as the Atom.

Currently, there's the AMD Geode (used in the original OLPC). Don't recall if it's x86-compatible or not.

There's also the AMD Sempron, which is just a cut-down Athlon (single-core, low L2 cache, low GHz, low power). These support 64-bit and some support hardware virtualisation.

phoenix said:
If this is for simple server duties without requiring a tonne of in-case storage, look into building a mini-ITX system using an Intel Atom

Didn't know about Mini-ITX, but indeed that seems what I'm looking for.

Last year I built a little FreeBSD server around the predecessor of the board linked by the previous poster, the Intel D510MO.

Threw it into an Antec ISK 300-65 case, along with two sticks of RAM and two laptop hard disks and it's been running as a rock solid, silent, cool little server ever since.

I'm thinking of building a second one based on the newer board.

jem said:
Last year I built a little FreeBSD server around the predecessor of the board linked by the previous poster, the Intel D510MO.

Threw it into an Antec ISK 300-65 case, along with two sticks of RAM and two laptop hard disks and it's been running as a rock solid, silent, cool little server ever since.

I'm thinking of building a second one based on the newer board.

Thanks for this post. I was going to do the same. My goal is to use it as a HTPC. What kind of noise / DVD rom did you get for it?

Thanks...

I didn't fit a optical drive. With two hard disks, both the SATA ports were used. I believe you can get USB-to-SATA adapters for connecting such a drive to an internal USB header though.

The system is almost silent. There's a very faint fan noise if you connect up the single fan in the chassis.

Back