FreeBSD Optimization For 1 GB RAM dan 1 CPU

I'm currently running Adguard Home, Unbound, and Nginx on my FreeBSD server with 1 CPU, 1 GB of RAM, and a 20 GB SSD.
Does anyone know what kind of optimization will boost system and network performance for me?

HW-optimzations, seriously. More RAM, bigger SSD. I doubt you will get anywhere near a 1.5 speedup with system tuning, such as stripping the kernel of all things not needed and play with C compiler optimization options. You can't make a lada run noticeably faster by putting more air in the tires.
PS: What year is your server from?

First the install: Use UFS, not ZFS. Set up a swap partition (or file). I would have suggested using 32-bit mode (i386), not in 64-bit mode (amd64), but 32-bit is now in tier 2 support, which means for example that packages aren't built to up-to-date levels.

Conserve memory and prevent swapping by not running unneeded software. Use a tool like ps or top to see what processes are running and how much memory each uses, and see whether there are things you don't need to start.

You could mess around with a custom build, removing unneeded things from the kernel, building needed things into the static kernel instead of modules, and re-compiling executables with the ideal compiler options. This is likely to be a waste of time, and would require a lot of trial, error and measurement to get anywhere.

For a server, such a machine should work fine; I'm running my home server (which uses ZFS, and also has DNS and DHCP servers plus some monitoring software) on a 3 GB machine.

HW-optimzations, seriously. More RAM, bigger SSD. I doubt you will get anywhere near a 1.5 speedup with system tuning, such as stripping the kernel of all things not needed and play with C compiler optimization options. You can't make a lada run noticeably faster by putting more air in the tires.
PS: What year is your server from?
I rent from Vultr. Do i need upgrade since i only run dns and vps server?

First the install: Use UFS, not ZFS. Set up a swap partition (or file). I would have suggested using 32-bit mode (i386), not in 64-bit mode (amd64), but 32-bit is now in tier 2 support, which means for example that packages aren't built to up-to-date levels.

Conserve memory and prevent swapping by not running unneeded software. Use a tool like ps or top to see what processes are running and how much memory each uses, and see whether there are things you don't need to start.

You could mess around with a custom build, removing unneeded things from the kernel, building needed things into the static kernel instead of modules, and re-compiling executables with the ideal compiler options. This is likely to be a waste of time, and would require a lot of trial, error and measurement to get anywhere.

For a server, such a machine should work fine; I'm running my home server (which uses ZFS, and also has DNS and DHCP servers plus some monitoring software) on a 3 GB machine.
Thanks for the answer. I will look further later.

I rent from Vultr. Do i need upgrade since i only run dns and vps server?
Have you identified a bottle neck? Is the juice worth the squeeze? A DNS server will probably run just fine with these parameters. You're not authority for a top level domain, right? :)

But be aware that a Raspi 4B outspecs your server multiple times when it comes to CPU cores, RAM, disk space and GHz. As long as you are happy with Vultr's service and haven't diagnosed a real bottleneck, why fix what's not broken?

Back