• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved FreeBSD on Dell Inspiron 15 3000

kAldown

Hello, I just want to know, is it feasible to install FreeBSD 10 on a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 laptop? I think everything compares, except wireless (Dell Wireless 1705). I couldn't find any solution, and am afraid to ruin all pre-installed Windows features. This is a laptop with EFI, and the HDD is already marked as a GPT.

Is it possible somehow to test this, without fully reinstalling the OS? If there is some chance to dual-boot under EFI (Windows 8.1 has a secureboot, which, I guess, still does not work properly for *BSD).

Thank you very much.

wblock@

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Developer

The easy and safe way: install VirtualBox, create a VM and install FreeBSD there. It does not endanger the disk and can run multiple operating systems at the same time.

Otherwise, sysutils/grub2 can do GPT multiboot. I have not tested it with UEFI or SecureBoot.

kAldown

Thank you, but VirtualBox is not a solution for testing a wireless device. It could only work in bridge mode, grabbing all packets as an Intel virtual card, not as a native Dell wireless 1705.

Last edited by a moderator: