• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FreeBSD on Acer Aspire One

aragon

Daemon

I was wondering if Aspire One FreeBSD users have found a way to control the apparently noisy fan on their netbooks?

The linux guys do this.

richardpl

Aspiring Daemon

Depends on acpi_thermal ACx entries:
Code:
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: 85.0C 75.0C 60.0C 50.0C -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

snashe

It seems like no hw.acpi.thermal entry exists with the AA1.

Also, there is no standard entry to know the processor temperature; I had to install "coretemp" kernel driver to know it. I still miss fan-control thought.

P.S.: Sometimes I had problems with shutdown-p and the power didn't automatically turned off. As I am using Openbox WM, the shutdown process can easily be configured within .xinitrc. Since this tweak I didn't had the power down problem. Hope it's not just luck and may this tips serves.

&quot said:
/usr/local/bin/openbox-session
sleep 5
shutdown -p now

Albright

I recently picked up a new Acer Aspire One 751h, primarily to test web site designs in Windows, but if I can run FreeBSD on it it'll be useful for other things as well. I booted off a 7.2 disc in an external CD-ROM drive and installed FreeBSD on an SD card (not brave enough to put it side-by-side with the Windows installation on the hard drive yet); thankfully, FreeBSD had no problems either seeing the SD card nor booting off of it. However, a stock installation does not seem to recognize either the 802.11 card nor the ethernet card. Running ifconfig just shows lo0 (the loopback interface).

Wifi is more useful for me, so I tried loading the ath driver as this thread suggests. It didn't help, however. According to this page, this model does not have an Atheros wifi card; instead an "Acer InviLink." I'm looking into whether there are any drivers for this; it's not looking good so far.

Haven't tried any X hijinks on it yet.

Albright

All right, it turns out the card in this thing is indeed an Atheros card; an AR5006. But the Atheros driver just can't see it. I tried various tips and trick around the net, but most of them seem very outdated and none of them worked. Notably, the ethernet card ("RTL8139/810x" from Realtek) isn't seen either. I have to sneakernet files on to this thing using a USB drive…

I'll try ndis next, but not tonight.

SpartX

Hey guys ..
I,m new to this FreeBSD thing and I have a netbook laying around (Acer Aspire One 8GB SSD). The thing is i need a tutorial on how to install and run FreeBSD (or FreeNAS) on my machine. and I was wondering if I could add a drobo to the mix as my main storaqe device.

any help would be deeply appreciated.

varnie

are there any successful stories of using FreeBSD 8.0 on Acer Aspire 3680 notebook? does it run smoothly or has any serious ACPI related/etc problems?