FreeBSD kernel

I came from linux platform. uname -a displays the kernel version of linux. How can I know the kernel verson of FreeBSD?

Can I rebuild the FreeBSD kernel from source again to customize again?

cola said:
I came from linux platform.
uname -a displays the kernel version of linux.
How can i know the kernel verson of freebsd?
Guess...

# uname -a

Can i rebuild the freebsd kernel from source again to customize again?
Yes.

Where is the kernel source?
And what would be the command to rebuild it.
I can't find anything in /usr/src.
uname -a shows:
Code:
FreeBSD localhost.localdomain 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Jul 19 02:55:53 UTC 2010     root@almeida.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
How is root@almeida.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC selected.Why is this?

Cola, start reading manuals and handbook....
You are spamming forum with totally noobish (or not even noobish) questions...
And comming from Linux is no excuse.... I came from Windows

cola said:
I came from linux platform.
cola said:
How can i know the kernel verson of freebsd?
Now you should be happy, you faced greatest difference between this 2 plaforms. FreeBSD does not have kernel version :e It have OS version, so you can check it via `uname -a`.

Goodluck, now you never leave the world of order haha! Just a joke :e

P.S. Check handbook for kernel/world rebuilding manual, its not actually same with linux

First lesson: stop referring to Linux as a reference platform for what FreeBSD should look/work like. It doesn't. It won't.

Alt said:
Now you should be happy, you faced greatest difference between this 2 plaforms. FreeBSD does not have kernel version :e It have OS version, so you can check it via `uname -a`.

OMG, I'm running linux, look at my kernel version:

FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #0 r216198+eca486e: Sun Dec 5 12:18:53 UTC 2010 root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/kernel i386

richardpl said:
OMG, I'm running linux, look at my kernel version:

FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #0 r216198+eca486e: Sun Dec 5 12:18:53 UTC 2010 root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/kernel i386
That's displaying an SVN revision number of src which equates to the OS REVISION not a kernel version, so try again.

Good to know because I was going NUTS trying to figure out kernel version. Yes, I am new to FreeBSD and PCBSD. Dammmm, somehow I can't go back to linux I am stuck with PCBSD and I am loving it.

Once you taste FreeBSD you will never go back.

Any hope we could stop that GNU/Linux discussion and concentrate on FreeBSD? BTW, it is not linux.
I'm just in process of installing a new box and installing imageindex pulled in tons of unnecessary software including but not limited to CUPS and mplayer. Nothing like this will happen in Gentoo, BTW.

Note that the patch level of an OS release branch is not always accurately displayed when using freebsd-update(8) to update your system, e.g. the current revision of 9.0-RELEASE is 9.0-RELEASE-p4, while [CMD=""]uname -a[/CMD] shows the OS revision when the kernel was last updated, which is 9.0-RELEASE-p3.

Speedy said:
I'm just in process of installing a new box and installing imageindex pulled in tons of unnecessary software including but not limited to CUPS and mplayer. Nothing like this will happen in Gentoo, BTW.

print/cups is to print, multimedia/mplayer to play movies. Seeing as graphics/imageindex plays videos, and I assume might want to print something it doesn't seem totally unreasonable.
In any case you can compile them from source, configuring settings as desired, which will probably leave out print/cups

Back