freebsd is very annoying due to devices are not configured properly even kde desktop is working.

Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have brought a new pc with ryzen 5500GT and Asus prime B450 motherboard. I have installed Fedora 40 and Debian Trixie Linux os's without any troubles. From the past two days I am trying to install freebsd 14.1 and try to make it work properly but I can't.

I have installed freebsd on an nvme SSD with partitions size about 31 gb for root and swap with auto ufs. After that I have installed xorg and KDE plasma desktop through Android USB tethering and even I have added an entry to my grub boot loader and I am able to boot into freebsd and even I am able to login to kde desktop.

Here the issue is I have tp link 725 n USB network adapter or dongle which has realtek rtl 8188EU chip and I can't use it properly.

After booting my system and try to login and when I issue the command 'ifconfig' I am able to see some output containing wlan0 and rtwn0 but I can't connect to internet.

I followed all the procedures given in freebsd handbook and various threads in freebsd forums and so I have succeeded atleast to install freebsd and boot into its gui but I can't connect to internet through usb dongle.

Other issues which are very annoying are android phone can't be mounted into freebsd filesystem and even there's no option to mount NTFS partition and Linux xfs partitions. Another issue is there's no shutdown option or button in the kde desktop logout menu.

As stated in handbook and various threads in freebsd forums I have added some text to /boot/loader.conf and /etc/rc.conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.

I am ready to provide the contents of those files but I can't because my os can't connect to internet and even there's no chance to copy files to my android phone through which I can transfer.

When I try to attach a fat32 USB pen drive and try to issue fdisk /dev/da1 command I am getting error as /dev/da1 not found.

Another issue is in some tutorials I found that urtwn driver is required to load in order to function realtek rtl wireless nics properly but my system is loading rtwn driver.

In Linux or windows I have done all of these with ease but in freebsd I can't. I believe that freebsd do perform well than Linux and windows and so I am trying to use it.

Kindly try to suggest how to connect to internet through usb dongle and also how to connect Android phone etc.,. If you suggest anything I am ready to follow what you say.

Regards,
Rupesh.

Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have brought a new pc with ryzen 5500GT and Asus prime B450 motherboard. I have installed Fedora 40 and Debian Trixie Linux os's without any troubles. From the past two days I am trying to install freebsd 14.1 and try to make it work properly but I can't.

I have installed freebsd on an nvme SSD with partitions size about 31 gb for root and swap with auto ufs. After that I have installed xorg and KDE plasma desktop through Android USB tethering and even I have added an entry to my grub boot loader and I am able to boot into freebsd and even I am able to login to kde desktop.

Here the issue is I have tp link 725 n USB network adapter or dongle which has realtek rtl 8188EU chip and I can't use it properly.

After booting my system and try to login and when I issue the command 'ifconfig' I am able to see some output containing wlan0 and rtwn0 but I can't connect to internet.

I followed all the procedures given in freebsd handbook and various threads in freebsd forums and so I have succeeded atleast to install freebsd and boot into its gui but I can't connect to internet through usb dongle.

Another issue is in some tutorials I found that urtwn driver is required to load in order to function realtek rtl wireless nics properly but my system is loading rtwn driver.
As a first try, do ifconfig wlan0 up and see if that changes anything. (There is a regression in FreeBSD 14 preventing the startup of wifi networks. It's commonly associated with intel chipsets specifically, but it's cheap to check in any case.)

Next, try to get some diagnostic from ifconfig wlan0 and ifconfig wlan0 scan.

When I try to attach a fat32 USB pen drive and try to issue fdisk /dev/da1 command I am getting error as /dev/da1 not found.
What das ls /dev/da* say?

Someone here claims this adapter works for them.

Other issues which are very annoying are android phone can't be mounted into freebsd filesystem and even there's no option to mount NTFS partition and Linux xfs partitions.
I would be surprised if Windows or Linux does any better trying to mount a FreeBSD filesystem. Does it not make sense to use the system's native filesystem?

You may have misread the handbook: https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/disks/#usb-disks

You didn't manage to specify a "superblock" in your command. I.e /dev/da1s1

With that in place, you should now be able to provide the contents of your /etc/rc.conf and /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Hi I am able to mount fat32 usb pendrive but I cant connect to internet through tp 725n network adapter. I am providing the contents of the files related to networking and also I am providing the output of commands suggested by you.

/boot/loader.conf contents
Code:
if_rtwn_load="YES"
legal.realtek.license_ack=1

/etc/rc.conf contents
Code:
hostname="Rupesh"
ifconfig_ue0="DHCP"
ifconfig_ue0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"
local_unbound_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
#ntpd_sync_on_start="YES"
powerd_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
wlans_rtwn0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
kld_list="amdgpu"
sddm_enable='YES'

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf contents
Code:
# /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf written by wifimgr(8)

network={
    ssid="Rupesh_One_Plus_Nord"
#    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    password="rupesh_3"
}

output of some commands suggested by you
Code:
build@Rupesh:~ % sudo sysctl net.wlan.devices
net.wlan.devices: rtwn0
build@Rupesh:~ % sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
build@Rupesh:~ % sudo ifconfig wlan0
wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=0
        ether 74:fe:ce:24:db:86
        groups: wlan
        ssid "" channel 5 (2432 MHz 11g)
        regdomain FCC country US authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 30 bmiss 7
        scanvalid 60 protmode CTS wme bintval 0
        parent interface: rtwn0
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
build@Rupesh:~ % sudo ifconfig wlan0 scan
SSID/MESH ID                      BSSID              CHAN RATE    S:N     INT CAPS
Rupesh_One_Plus_Nord              7a:7a:1b:9b:0a:c7    1   54M  -69:-95   100 EPS  RSN HTCAP WME VHTCAP VHTOPMODE VHTPWRENV
build@Rupesh:~ % sudo dhclient wlan0
ifconfig: interface wlan0 does not exist
wlan0: not found
exiting.
build@Rupesh:~ % sudo sysctl net.wlan.devices
net.wlan.devices:
build@Rupesh:~ %

from the above output you can notice that rtwn0 has been detatched.

I am giving reply to this thread from freebsd through usb tethering.

I am ready to provide the contents of those files but I can't because my os can't connect to internet

That's one issue ... but first:

and even there's no chance to copy files to my android phone through which I can transfer.

Just add an 'OTG' cable to your phone, to read (and/or write) files to an USB stick between phone and PC, good for backup anytime and transfer at least till you get your network happening.

Rather than old fdisk, use gpart(8) show command with -p switch, to clearly delineate between GPT, UFS and other geoms in detail.

For the whole system, all geoms found:
gpart show -p

For a particular disk, e.g:
gpart show -p nvme0

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf contents
Code:
# /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf written by wifimgr(8)

network={
    ssid="Rupesh_One_Plus_Nord"
#    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    password="rupesh_3"
}
Is it not psk= rather than password= for WPA personal? It might not matter but give it a shot.

Can you run the wpa_supplicant program manually from the command line and output its log. I am assuming it is simply failing to associate / authenticate.

Hi at present I am able to connect to internet through following commands

Code:
sudo sysrc wlans_rtwn0="wlan0"
   sudo sysrc ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
   sudo vim /etc/rc.conf
   sudo ifconfig wlan0 regdomain FCC country IN
   sudo sysrc create_xargs_wlan0="country IN regdomain FCC"
   sudo ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev rtwn0

Present issues are I cant change screen resolution to
1920x1080

There is no shotdown option in kde desktop logout menu.

I followed all the steps described in the following page to connect to internet.

Back