FreeBSD is a really good operating system

Congratulations once again for 12.2-RELEASE to all developers, administrators, moderators; well the entire community for that matter! I will have to say that having a test machine running the same updates and upgrades alongside your main system really paid rewards this time around. The i915kms issue showed when I upgraded the test machine; and yes I did remember forum discussions about it. So, the upgrade for the main system was relatively easy; especially for those posts by community members who were willing to share their tips and workarounds. THX again!

Nice smooth update to 12.1 here too. Been using FreeBSD for a year and finally flushed Linux out of my system. I said it before and I'll say it again, FreeBSD is the only operating system I've used since DOS 3.3 that doesn't give me high blood pressure. 🤣
I'm not certain, but I think FreeBSD operates on the KISS system. Keep it simple stupid and it works and it works well. LOL FreeBSD goes above and beyond to document everything, unlike other operating systems.

I'm not certain, but I think FreeBSD operates on the KISS system. Keep it simple stupid and it works and it works well. LOL FreeBSD goes above and beyond to document everything, unlike other operating systems.
Agreed. Linux and especially windows are trying to do too much at once and I find them both to be a complete mess. I have been using FreeBSD for two years now and literally nothing has gone wrong with this operating system for me. I never even had a program crash in it. Anything that has gone wrong for me was user error (mixing pkgs with ports, not unmounting drives correctly, etc). I've owned calculators and digital watches that were less stable than FreeBSD. 😂😂😂

This seems to be more prevalent by the day on this forum and it needs to end. It is juvenile and petty and makes this forum look like it is populated by kids getting their kicks. Then I see comments made on this forum mocking Linux users saying the things that are said here. It is all pointless and subjective opinion.

Everything is a mess. I recall reading once that OpenBSD's pf was a mess and some of the developers liked how clean NetBSD's npf was. Once everything grows, it becomes almost unwieldly. OpenSSL is a mess, which is why the OpenBSD folks created LibreSSL, but FreeBSD doesn't use LibreSSL and still uses OpenSSL, so that mess is necessary -- at least for the foreseeable future.

And if I see one more thread on systemd I'm going to take my pitchfork to my laptop.

No, it doesn't. The are over 17 million lines in the FreeBSD kernel. Over 11 million lines in C. 965 lines are in AMPL. 11 lines in Visual Basic. The entire system is tens of millions beyond that.
How many lines in the Linux kernel and Windows kernel?

ZFS and Internet4 account for a large percentage of kernel. Functionality needs lines of code. SLOC by its own is not necessarily a good measure for software assessment. Any thoughts?

ZFS and Internet4 account for a large percentage of kernel. Functionality needs lines of code. SLOC by its own is not necessarily a good measure for software assessment. Any thoughts?
I agree it's not a good measure. It's really easy to be "productive" using copy/paste, and it's very hard to be terse but clear in any form of written communication, including code.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Upgraded my test machine to FreeBSD-13.0-BETA2, and only one minor issue. So, thanks are once again in order for administrators, developers, moderators and the whole community! The /etc/login.conf file was brought up on a prompt asking to manually edit (using the vi editor) said file. Easy fix!

Looking ahead (2) major versions, it looks like 32-bit architecture might be deprecated (or removed). I thought about asking if their are others who would want to preserve a community package repository for those people who might still use 32-bit systems (i386) ?

Upgraded my test machine to FreeBSD-13.0-BETA2, and only one minor issue. So, thanks are once again in order for administrators, developers, moderators and the whole community! The /etc/login.conf file was brought up on a prompt asking to manually edit (using the vi editor) said file. Easy fix!

Looking ahead (2) major versions, it looks like 32-bit architecture might be deprecated (or removed). I thought about asking if their are others who would want to preserve a community package repository for those people who might still use 32-bit systems (i386) ?
i386 is old, people will support it no problem. What people will not support - is the new hotness (or should I say coolness, because cpus run cold, heh) like ARM.

A hoy! Ye have stolen the wind from my main sail! Now wallowing in the calm sea - doldrums etc.

Not to fear, I'll harness my own package repository below the aft rigging, tack a new course. Bye mate!

Back