• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FreeBSD intermittent crash!

Murph

SirDice , please don't demoralize me more, i am already very much depressed :( . Don't know what to do , someone on other freebsd mailling list suggested to update cpu microcode but looks like intel doesn't provide microcode file for FreeBSD :

- Install microcode updates and hope, it will fix it

Intel offers for many CPUs an microcode update.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25512/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?v=t
I'm not saying this is your fix, but the Intel microcode for Linux is available as the sysutils/devcpu-data port.

sizigee

Code:
Unread portion of the kernel message buffer:
MCA: Bank 5, Status 0xbe00000000800400
MCA: Global Cap 0x0000000000001c09, Status 0x0000000000000004
MCA: Vendor "GenuineIntel", ID 0x206c2, APIC ID 16
MCA: CPU 9 UNCOR PCC internal timer error
MCA: Address 0x8018cfa2c
MCA: Misc 0x0
panic: Unrecoverable machine check exception
This is a hardware error.
Faulty core, maybe?

User23

Different machines with hardware errors on different OS's and temperature related throttling. Did you log the temperature of the hottest core on each cpu?

shahzaib

Well, yes i've already installed microcode. We've Dell & supermicro crashing with same errors and both of these servers have one identical model e.g :

- Dell Perc H200 controller flashed with IT mode in LSI-9211
- X5600 series CPUs which is , x5690 & x5675

Now i've started to assume that these X series CPUs are somehow culprit maybe they take more power during FFmpeg encoding and become overheated but its all just my assumption. Soon we'll be adding 3-5 more servers of HP DL180G6 with low consumption cpus L5639 to see how they go as compare to X series CPUs.

Thanks all of you for helping us that far. I guess its the longest thread of this forum :) Well, the ugliest one too :p

sizigee

Ugly? no... There was no flame war, so that makes it good :)

Have you tried using an nvidia graphics card for the encoding? it'll save you buying another server or 5... Also have you tried linux, just to see if it'll make a difference? I'm just curious :)