FreeBSD IDE?

Is X.org not a candidate?
It is certainly the closest we have (and am a big fan) but I don't believe it is standardized by POSIX.
Yes POSIX was quite possibly formalized before X11 but it has had many years to include it and no standards body really has.

It seems pixel based drawing has a number of complexities that cannot be standardized; I cannot fathom a reason why. Lack of skill or leadership in the IT industry perhaps?
And now Wayland is going to distract people for ~5 years until it gets dropped and something decent gets written as a real replacement. Meaning a standard display system is going to be delayed for another decade at least.

Oddly enough I think CDE was a (now widthdrawn) POSIX standard. However looking around at the entire industry... we are no longer as capable as we once were ~20 years ago. I don't think we can come up with meaningful standards anymore. Too many broken companies with terrible short-sighted monetization ideas rather than actual progress. Newer really isn't better these days.

Hi,
Sorry to bump this thread but I didn't want to open a new one just to post the following, plus IMO it's appropriate.
Found this little guy editors/lite-xl and I've been impressed, I used to install devel/geany as backup of my shell editors but I think this one could be a nice and modern replacement. While I am usually not a big fan of IDE because I don't need it for what I do but I could give this one a try.
It's written in C and lua, it's damn fast, and if it matters for your needs there is a ton of plugins.
Keybinding is basic but if the objective is just to write text/code with a graphical application then new users will be pleased to know that something like that is available in Freebsd.

The OP originally asked for a Windows-alike workflow but people straight up refused to answer; giving him recommendations of small editors and lightweight IDEs.

So here's for anyone looking for the answer :

If you want a Visual C++ style IDE go for KDevelop.
If you want a Borland C++ Builder style RAD go for Qt.

Both work with CMake by default and it's hassle free development.
Easier than on Windows; if you want a library, you can just install a package with one simple command.

There's no need to do things the old school way if you want to target native FreeBSD programming. Also there is no need to scare away Windows programmers who are used to doing everything in the IDE. The two software packages noted above perfectly fit the description.

Good to have VSCode on FreeBSD, I like it even though I try to no use it, but it is pretty darn good! 😩

Just out of curiosity I was convinced that FreeBSD couldn't run electron app, did I miss anything?
VSCode works like a charm and as far as I know, it does for quite a while now.

If someone is doing C/C++ I can highly recommend QtCreator if someone wants to use an IDE. Even tough the name suggests Qt, you can use it for plain C/C++ projects.
Great example is Andreas Kling, who used it to work on SerenityOS

I recommend JetBrain's tools. They are really good (CLion, IntelliJ, PyCharm, Rider, RustRover...). They are built in Java.

Only downside on JetBrains is the pricing. If you're student you can get it for free, but else you have to pay, quite a lot in my opinion (doesn't mean the price isn't justified, just a lot)

Only downside on JetBrains is the pricing. If you're student you can get it for free, but else you have to pay, quite a lot in my opinion (doesn't mean the price isn't justified, just a lot)
If you work on opensource projects you can get a license for free as well.

Personally I use vim, screen, tmux, cscope, etc. However, if you have KDE as your desktop, and you want an IDE, then Kdevelop looks pretty comprehensive:-
https://kdevelop.org/. Not sure if it's on freebsd.

Or, of course, eclipse:-

Back