FreeBSD Home Router Question...or two.

Hi guys,

I have a home router/firewall/DHCP-server/DNS-forwarder set up at home that is giving me some grief and since I'm not a networking expert I'll pose the questions to the good people here in hopes that they can find some peace of mind for me :)

This is what my setup looks like;

The cable modem (Cisco DCP3825 in bridged mode) connected to nfe0 on the FreeBSD server. The cable modem gets a DHCP public IP from ISP and also (sadly) turns on a local DHCP server that gives out IPs in the 192.168.100.x range. The FreeBSD server then has a NIC em0 that is connected to a LAN switch, to which my LAN clients are also connected. Some of my LAN clients are static and others "should" get their IP from the FreeBSD DHCP server in the 10.0.0.x range. I'm using PF as firewall/NAT and have set up rules as described below. I'm running the latest/updated FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p3.

Problem 1: Sometimes my LAN clients (especially when they're "reconnected") get DHCP assigned IP address from my cable modem! Instead of my FreeBSD server. i.e. they get address in 192.168.100.x range instead of 10.0.0.x range. This has happened to Mac, Windows and Linux clients, all the same. How do I "block" my cable modem's DHCP offering or broadcast from being passed through the FreeBSD server? Maybe it has something to do with my PF rules?

Problem 2: It's not really a problem, rather a question; As you can see from the rules below, I have bridge0 set up as internal NIC to which my PF rules apply. Reason for this is that for now I only have LAN clients connected to em0 (only member of bridge0) but later on I'll be adding a wifi card as AP (once I find a compatible card, hopefully soon) to the bridge so both my LAN and WiFi clients can get DHCP addresses. However, I want to assign addresses in different IP space for both types of clients. e.g. LAN clients coming off the LAN switch to em0 should get DHCP IPs in range 10.0.0.x ..and.. WiFi clients coming from wlan0 get DHCP IPs in the range 192.168.1.x - Both these NICs are members of bridge0. Is this doable? If yes, how? Is that something I have to set up on the DHCP server itself? Based on MAC addresses of bridge0 members (em0, wlan0) MAC addresses? This is just my guess.

Here are my PF rules:
Code:
ext_if="nfe0"
int_if="bridge0"
tcp_services="{ 22 }"
icmp_types="echoreq"
mynix="10.0.0.10"

set block-policy return
set loginterface $ext_if
set skip on lo
scrub in
nat on $ext_if from !($ext_if) -> ($ext_if:0)
nat-anchor "ftp-proxy/*"
rdr-anchor "ftp-proxy/*"
rdr pass on $int_if proto tcp to port ftp -> 127.0.0.1 port 8021
block in
pass out
anchor "ftp-proxy/*"
antispoof quick for { lo $int_if }
pass in on $int_if inet proto tcp from any to $int_if port $tcp_services
pass in inet proto icmp all icmp-type $icmp_types
pass quick on $int_if no state
Thank you for reading.

Hoping to get some answers :)

N00B.

First, try to shut off the cable modem DHCP server. It should have a web config page. If that can't be done, DHCP can probably be blocked at the firewall.

Hi @wblock@, Unfortunately it doesn't allow me to turn it off. I can't even login to the modem (default user/pass doesn't work) in bridged mode.

How do I bock it at the firewall? That's the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem 2: another way to solve it would be not to use bridge at all, but let your wireless AP be on its own subnet (as you have described it). The DHCP server is perfectly capable of serving more than one subnet, and you can control which interface gets what.

Usually DHCP is limited to the broadcast domain into which the client is connected.

I understood from your description (please correct me), that the external interface nfe0 gets the public IP from the cable modem (bridge mode). All your clients are physically connected to the internal interface em0, by the way of a switch. em0 itself is placed into a bridge.

Now, I can't understand, how the DHCP server of your modem could be in the same broadcast domain as the internal interfaces on your server, let it be em0, wlan0, or bridge0.

Please show the output of the following command on your server: # ifconfig

Did you connect the modem also to said switch?

Does the modem have an active WLAN AP, which is accessed somehow by your clients?

Why don't you make your life easier and simply install pfSense? It's also based on FreeBSD and makes use of pf.

Hi @tingo, That's a good idea, but it also means that I have to add separate firewall/NAT rules for wlan0. Maybe it's a good thing that I do :) I'll definitely think about it.

Hi @Rolfheinrich, modem is directly connected to FreeBSD and you're spot on in your understanding of my setup. I am puzzled myself, how can that be?

$ ifconfig -a

Code:
sk0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	options=80009<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,LINKSTATE>
	ether 00:11:d8:4c:3d:90
	nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
	media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
nfe0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 9000
	options=8210b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,TSO4,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
	ether 00:11:d8:4c:2d:ef
	inet xx.xx.xx.xxx netmask 0xfffffc00 broadcast 255.255.255.255
	media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
em0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 9000
	options=4219b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO>
	ether 68:05:ca:14:5c:86
	inet6 fe80::6a05:caff:fe14:5c86%em0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5 
	media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
pflog0: flags=141<UP,RUNNING,PROMISC> metric 0 mtu 33152
pfsync0: flags=0<> metric 0 mtu 1500
	syncpeer: 0.0.0.0 maxupd: 128
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
	options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 
	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8 
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 
	nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
bridge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 9000
	ether 02:d3:4d:da:36:00
	inet 10.0.0.254 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.0.255
	id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15
	maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 2000 timeout 1200
	root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 ifcost 0 port 0
	member: em0 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
	        ifmaxaddr 0 port 5 priority 128 path cost 2000000

Hi @shaqan, I could but I'm also using this box as a ZFS-NFS-Samba-media server. and DIYO is more fun? Well, not right now it isn't, I'm stuck :)

@Rolfheinrich, as far as I understand, in bridged mode, the WLAN portion of the modem gets turned off, only my LAN clients are exhibiting this behavior (I don't have any WLAN clients yet). I ran arp -a on my freebsd FreeBSD server but don't see any indication (that I can tell) of 192.168.100.x or modem's DHCP server;

arp -a
Code:
? (10.0.0.102) at c8:2a:14:19:89:82 on bridge0 expires in 736 seconds [bridge]
myhost.xxxxxxxxxxx.com (10.0.0.254) at 02:d3:4d:da:36:00 on bridge0 permanent [bridge]
xxxxxxxxxxx.xx.shawcable.net (xx.xx.xx.xxx) at 00:11:d8:4c:2d:ef on nfe0 permanent [ethernet]
? (xx.xx.xx.x) at 00:1d:70:cc:ac:d9 on nfe0 expires in 1199 seconds [ethernet]

Is it also possible that this is because of my LAN broadcast domain 10.0.0.0? If I changed it to 10.10.10.0 - maybe that'd help?

Broadcast domain is not defined by the addresses used but by the way you interconnect different networking equipment. It is the largest continuous Ethernet segment a broadcast can travel in the network before it hits a device that does not forward the Ethernet frames across the device (a router for example). Bridges extend the Ethernet segment and do not stop broadcasts.

@kpa, Understood. Thanks. What is it in my route that I'm doing wrong then?

Hi @tinga, I take my answer back; I didn't have to use bridging in my setup, and I should have my DHCP server assign addresses in two different ranges. I'd separate them as below;

Code:
int_if="{em0 wlan0}"

Thanks!

ps: sorry Admins, I just read the rules :)

IMHO your bridge configuration is complicating things. Just forget about using a bridge.This will also stop the cable modem from giving out addresses via DHCP to your LAN clients.

Definitely get rid of the bridge as @J65nko suggests above. If you want to have the FreeBSD machine as a DHCP server/DNS forwarder/proxy etc. it's easiest to set it up as a router. Bridged setup would require that the LAN clients would have to have the next "hop" address as their gateway, not the IP address of the machine that implements the bridge and that makes everything very complicated.

@@J65nko and @kpa, I guess you are talking about this bridge:

n00balert said:
Code:
	bridge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 9000
	ether 02:d3:4d:da:36:00
	inet 10.0.0.254 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.0.255
	id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15
	maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 2000 timeout 1200
	root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 ifcost 0 port 0
	member: em0 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
	        ifmaxaddr 0 port 5 priority 128 path cost 2000000

Even if a bridge(4)() with the only one pier em0 is somehow useless until some other piers are added (like wlan0, as the OP stated), I fail to see, how this would have any influence on the routing/NAT provided by pf(4)() between the external interface nfe0 and the internal interface bridge0.

If pf happens to be confused by a bridge within the internal broadcast domain, then it got a big issue here.

Perhaps the OP wants to try ipfw(8)().

Hello guys, I took bridge0 out of my setup and so far haven't had any DHCP issues yet. I agree though PF is probably getting confused with bridging. Thanks all for your replies.

@rolfheinrich, I'm happy to switch to ipfw but not sure if that'd be any more or less beneficial. I invested a lot of time already learning a few things about pf - don't really have any motivation to move to ipfw unless there were obvious benefits.

n00balert said:
@rolfheinrich, I'm happy to switch to ipfw but not sure if that'd be any more or less beneficial. I invested a lot of time already learning a few things about pf - don't really have any motivation to move to ipfw unless there were obvious benefits.

Both, pf and ipfw are mature firewalls. IMHO, it is basically a matter of taste which one to choose.

Perhaps I should have been more precise with my suggestion. In the course of troubleshooting (and in general experimental planning), the most descent approach is orthogonal testing of the variables at its different levels. In your case, 2 variables [bridge : firewall] at 2 levels each [on|off : pf|ipfw], this would have meant cross-checking, i.e. 4 experiments:
Code:
#       bridge        firewall    result
1.       on             pf         nOK
2.       on            ipfw        ?
3.       off            pf         OK
4.       off           ipfw        ? (presumably OK)

You did #1 and #3, the latter of which worked out for you, so there is no other reason than perhaps a scientific one to perform the remaining tests.

So, please keep pf as long as it works for you.

Update: I spoke too soon. The problem is still here even with no bridging. I hibernated a Windows client and when it came back up it had received an IP address from the modem's DHCP server. I then rebooted it and the same thing happened. It's when I turned it off and turned it back on that it was able to get an IP from FreeBSD's DHCP server.

I was also experimenting with Xen on a Linux installation - I created a xenbr0 interface with DHCP and noticed while it was coming up it had discovered both 10.0.0.254 and 192.168.100.1 as DHCP servers and taken 192.168.100.1 as its DHCP server and acquired an address. I have a strong feeling that this would exhibit the same behavior as the windows client.

@rolfheinrich, I guess I'm gonna going to have to give ipfw a shot. Unless there is something else wrong with my setup.

Why not just fix the PF rules? The firewall is not the problem, you'll need a working ruleset either way.

n00balert said:
@rolfheinrich, I guess I'm going to have to give ipfw a shot. Unless there is something else wrong with my setup.

@wblock is right, the kind of the firewall is not the problem, however, I cannot be of any help in fixing the pf ruleset, I am an ipfw guy. Just in case, you want to give it a shot, here comes a quick and dirty, basic open ipfw/NAT setup -- the test shouldn't take more than five minutes.
  1. Create a file named ipfw_quick.sh and enter the following content:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    kldload ipfw_nat.ko
    ipfw flush
    ipfw nat 1 config if nfe0 reset
    ipfw add allow ip from any to any via em0
    ipfw add allow ip from any to any via lo0
    ipfw add deny ip from any to any not antispoof in
    ipfw add nat 1 ip from any to any via nfe0
    ipfw add 65534 allow ip from any to any

# chmod 500 ipfw_quick.sh
  2. Disable pf.
  3. Start the ipfw firewall using the just created shell script
    # ipfw_quick.sh
  4. Do your tests.
  5. Disable ipfw and re-enable pf by simply restarting your FreeBSD server.

Hello @rolfheinrich,

Thank you for answering and the script; I have tried your script and the behavior is still the same. This is what I get from a Linux client;

sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop && sudo /etc/init.d/networking start
Code:
[warn] not deconfiguring network interfaces: network file systems still mounted. ... (warning).
[....] Configuring network interfaces...
Waiting for xenbr0 to get ready (MAXWAIT is 32 seconds).
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.2.2
Copyright 2004-2011 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/xenbr0/f4:6d:04:48:4d:33
Sending on   LPF/xenbr0/f4:6d:04:48:4d:33
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on xenbr0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
DHCPREQUEST on xenbr0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.100.1
DHCPNAK from 10.0.0.254
DHCPDISCOVER on xenbr0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
DHCPREQUEST on xenbr0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.100.1
DHCPNAK from 10.0.0.254
DHCPACK from 192.168.100.1
bound to 192.168.100.10 -- renewal in 14 seconds.
done.

But this doesn't always happen, once I power client off - power it back on, it gets an IP from the FreeBSD Server, even when restarting networking.

This is what my dhcpd.conf looks like;

more /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf
Code:
# dhcpd.conf
#
# Sample configuration file for ISC dhcpd
#

# option definitions common to all supported networks...
option domain-name "xxxxxxxxxxxx.com";
option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.254;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;

default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

# Use this to enble / disable dynamic dns updates globally.
#ddns-update-style none;

# If this DHCP server is the official DHCP server for the local
# network, the authoritative directive should be uncommented.
authoritative;

# Use this to send dhcp log messages to a different log file (you also
# have to hack syslog.conf to complete the redirection).
log-facility local7;

# This is a very basic subnet declaration.

subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 10.0.0.100 10.0.0.150;
  option routers 10.0.0.254;
}

You could remove your router and have FreeBSD obtain a lease directly from your ISP as you do not seem to use the router for anything else.

Back