FreeBSD + GPT + UEFI

Chock up another victory for manually setting the partition active. Intel Pentium-D (dual core, 32-bit) motherboard. Thank you!

Hello,

This did not work for me unfortunately. No matter the BIOS settings (AHCI, SATA only/combined/enhanced), no matter I install FreeBSD 10-RELEASE amd64 with GPT or MBR, the gpart set -a active ada0 changes nothing for me. I have an MSI 975X Platinum motherboard bought in 2007, with the last BIOS available, and a single 1TB HDD SATA2 drive plugged in. If I plug my main HDD instead, others OS boot fine, either Windows or Linux. I created 6 partitions, including swap : /, swap, /var, /tmp, /usr, and /data. What else could I try?

Guillaume.

A 2007 machine does not have UEFI, but BIOS. Some buggy BIOS systems will not boot unless one of the MBR partitions is set active.

I know my motherboard does not have UEFI, but I was advised to take a look at this thread and try again with GPT, and as nothing worked, I tried to set an active partition with gpart, using MBR too. It does not boot either. I guess it's time to buy a new computer.

Guillaume.

I had the same problem using GPT partitions on an Asus z87-ws motherboard with FreeBSD 10-RCx. I had to enable/disable the active flag after sysinstall ends to make it work.

gpart set -a active adaX

Registered here to say THANK YOU!
FreeBSD-10-amd64, ASUS Z97-A, RAID1
#gpart set -a active raid/r0 :beer: :)

FreeBSD + GPT (+ZFS) + GRUB2 works OK. With GRUB2-EFI it can be made to work, but takes some tuning.
Hi!

It seems nobody knows a solution. Actually it's the same problem with my FreeBSD installed on my SD memory card. My laptop has an ordinary BIOS and partitioned in MBR and is triple boot and works well. But when I want to boot it from my SD which has a GPT partitioning it stalls and can not find boot loader. I tried to install FreeBSD as MBR, but it gave me error and I couldn't change it.

Anyway, have you tried to change your BIOS to UEFI?
I don't know about SD card, I could never make it boot at all.
With HDDs or USB sticks it's easier. Though I've been using GPT for a long time, for it's easier to handle.
First: switch your UEFI settings to legacy mode ("BIOS" mode). Then, given that your disk is GPT, follow one of the numerous guides on how to MANUALLY install bootcode onto a GPT disk. That is done by first choosing "Shell" option from your FreeBSD installer-CD (or USB stick or whatever media you're using). Then from the shell you execute your commands like this:
Code:
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0
This command implies you have partition #1 of type freebsd-boot on your /dev/ada0 and your system partition is of type freebsd-zfs. If it is freebsd-ufs, you'll need the option -p /boot/gptboot instead of -p /boot/gptzfsboot into the command above. To know exactly what your disk in question is use gpart show command.

Take a look at this guide for example, just instead of freebsd-zfs you can use freebsd-ufs partition type etc. Yet I think the standard installer should have handled partitioning well enough. Just use the command above to fix the bootloader.
There shouldn't be any need to set "active partition" with this setup, I think.

Back