FreeBSD Foundation's New Project: Implement GEM/KMS/DRI for Intel Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have followed Toto's guide and Xfce4 works. When moving windows around, there seems to be some breaking, but I don't see any of the mentioned artifacts anywhere. 720p runs with sound fine.

I have a minor problem, though. Before Xfce4 just doing startx, and exiting, I get a black screen. I typed reboot, but nothing happenend. Same thing happens if I click Log out in Xfce. Seems that monitor and keyboard die out after exit from X. I have to hard shutdown.

But X works with the patch 13.7 and Toto's steps.

Switching back to the console is currently disabled in the patch. This is for ease of development. It'll be implemented when the patch hits public stage.

See the wiki entry Intel GPU for more info.

router54g said:
Switching back to the console is currently disabled in the patch. This is for ease of development. It'll be implemented when the patch hits public stage.

See the wiki entry Intel GPU for more info.

This is what I've understood as well so far.

@phpwolf:

phpwolf said:
Hi guys, Hello Toto,
- The console switch (ctrl+alt+f2) seems to work for me,

This is what make me suspicious about your install. Are you sure to have no reject file/ patch beeing applied correctly?

How could it be possible to have pixel flickering (assuming as a result of a patch application) and having console switch working at the same time? (open question)

Regards,

grigorovl said:
I have followed Toto's guide and Xfce4 works. When moving windows around, there seems to be some breaking, but I don't see any of the mentioned artifacts anywhere. 720p runs with sound fine.

I have a minor problem, though. Before Xfce4 just doing startx, and exiting, I get a black screen. I typed reboot, but nothing happenend. Same thing happens if I click Log out in Xfce. Seems that monitor and keyboard die out after exit from X. I have to hard shutdown.

But X works with the patch 13.7 and Toto's steps.

So this means you have a full functional X with 3D acceleration? Did you tried to run an openGL game like neverball and it worked fine? Wow, that's sounds awsome - maybe I should try to reinstall everything (including the OS) - maybe I missed something. And maybe I should try with the 13.7 patch too.

By the way, what kind of video card you have?

Toto said:
This is what I've understood as well so far.
@phpwolf:
This is what make me suspicious about your install. Are you sure to have no reject file/ patch beeing applied correctly? How could it be possible to have pixel flickering and having console switch at the same time? (open question)
Regards,

After patch -d /usr/src </root/patchfile I did find /usr/src -name "*.rej"
and no rej files returned. Also the kernel was compiled fine, kldstat said that the drm is loaded, X starts with the intel driver. I will try to reinstall everything, because something is really wrong here - for example, in Xfce the mouse clicks don't work on icons (by the way, when the mouse moves, some black rectangles remain under the mouse cursor), but if I open the "thunar" filemanager (ALT+F2 then blind typed "thunar" - blind typed because I can see anything) in Thunar the clicks works great (and then I can browse folders, rename files, copy/paste etc) I can even move the window with the mouse.

One note: when I upgraded X to 7.5.2 I choosed "default" options for everything, because I don't have enough experience to know what is necessary and what is unnecessary when the system ask me for some packages. So if you, guys, are checked some additional options for the X upgrading, please, let me know.

I should reinstall everything and try with the newest patch. Thanks a lot, guys, for your help!

phpwolf said:
One note: when I upgraded X to 7.5.2 I choosed "default" options for everything, because I don't have enough experience to know what is necessary and what is unnecessary when the system ask me for some packages. So if you, guys, are checked some additional options for the X upgrading, please, let me know.

Step 10: Beware, at some point, you will be asked whether you want to use KMS (with the mention "very experimental" as far as I remember), make sure you check it before proceeding further.

Regards,

I reinstalled the whole OS using the same process but this time everything worked fine (I have 3d acceleration, XFce, mouse). Now I'm posting this using my laptop and I'm a happy guy. I don't know what was wrong with my previous installation, I'm happy enough for the moment.

Some notes:

@Toto
Yes, the KMS option was also checked in my previous install.

I found that the X freeze and the system hangs up after 2 - 3 mins of playing neverball/neverputt - maybe this will be fixed with the new patches. X seems to be stable enough for everyday work.

Now, please, forgive me if I'm offtopic, but let me share with you some ideas about my next plans: I'm the CEO of OBLONE Software (the game company that made SunBlast game http://www.sunblastthegame.com). My company released (after ~5years of work) a completely new programming language especially designed for multimedia applications and game programming (for example, SunBlast is a game written entirely in this programming language). This works on several platforms (including BSD) and I plan to release this programming language with a free license for the BSD platform (including permission of using it to produce commercial applications) as a contribution. I'll go back to you with more informations regarding this in a separate thread next weeks, and who knows, maybe we will release the SunBlast for BSD under a free license :)

Thanks again for your patience, tips and help. Toto, I should send you some bottles of Romanian beer :)

When I run X, CPU skyrockets to 50C at best. Then to 60C when doing browser stuff and the fan goes crazy. I do have powerd and the adaptive flag and states do change, however, I think the problem is CPU stays in turbo mode and highest mode longer and fan can't keep up. I usually don't go above 65C for browsing since fan is loud by then, but I also can't drop below 50C. This issue doesn't appear when not in X.

I have a X220 with custom world only with latest patch for STABLE and stock kernel. Powerd is enabled.
Code:
# uname -a
FreeBSD LGX 9.0-STABLE FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #0: Mon Apr  2 13:20:47 PDT 2012     root@LGX:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Any help would be great as 50C-60C for browsing is too much. Not sure if problem with patch or CPU throttling, but if you have any ideas, it will be great.

P.S. I localized the problem to my lowest C-states going back to C1 for all 4 cores. I do have them to be C3, but it seems when I do heavy CPU stuff, they reset to C1 and get stuck there. But still, the fan doesn't spin its lowest mode when in X, and the temp is the same.

grigorovl said:
When I run X, CPU skyrockets to 50C at best. Then to 60C when doing browser stuff and the fan goes crazy. I do have powerd and the adaptive flag and states do change, however, I think the problem is CPU stays in turbo mode and highest mode longer and fan can't keep up. I usually don't go above 65C for browsing since fan is loud by then, but I also can't drop below 50C. This issue doesn't appear when not in X.

I have a X220 with custom world only with latest patch for STABLE and stock kernel. Powerd is enabled.
Code:
# uname -a
FreeBSD LGX 9.0-STABLE FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #0: Mon Apr  2 13:20:47 PDT 2012     root@LGX:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Any help would be great as 50C-60C for browsing is too much. Not sure if problem with patch or CPU throttling, but if you have any ideas, it will be great.

P.S. I localized the problem to my lowest C-states going back to C1 for all 4 cores. I do have them to be C3, but it seems when I do heavy CPU stuff, they reset to C1 and get stuck there. But still, the fan doesn't spin its lowest mode when in X, and the temp is the same.

I found that the X crashes random and the system automatically reboots after a short period of time (let's say 10 on 15 mins of normal using). Also, I found that the crash is happen when you "stress" the video card with 3D content (for example, if you open a 3D game the X crash in three or five minutes). I think this is a temp problem as you already said.

I tested the all.14.3-stable-9.patch file with /usr/src update to revision 234130. It crashed with panic when I loaded the i915 kernel module. The older patch all.13.7-stable-9.patch file did not crash with revision 233231 but failed to load Xorg. I have a E3-1260L processor which did not have pmc support in revision 233231. Now, it has pmc support but the i915 module crashes the machine immediately after loaded.

With the recipe above I was able to enable graphics on my Lenovo X121e (i3, HD3000 graphics). Step 8 seems not to be required anymore as ports were upgraded to Xorg 7.5.2. I used latest RELENG_9 and all.14.7-stable-9.patch from http://tsatsenko.ru/files.

Thanks Toto and the others for this useful information. I'm so happy to be able to have FreeBSD on my laptop now.

The latest patch all.14.9-stable-9.patch still doesn't work for E3-1260L (i.e. HD2000 graphics).

Code:
drm0: <Intel SandyBridge (M)> on vgapci0
info: [drm] MSI enabled 1 message(s)
error: [drm:pid2031:drm_load] *ERROR* Card isn't AGP, or couldn't initialize AGP.
device_attach: drm0 attach returned 12

Is anyone using a Sandy Bridge CPU that comes with HD2000 and able to get it to work?

I have a E3-1260L but haven't tested it so far since my mainboard doesn't support the IGP to begin with.
Given there's only two mainboards out there that do support it, this might be a good point to ask whether there's any GPGPU-like functionality possible with the IGPs not connected or connectable to any screens?

I would like to say with pleasure that 14.9 works on my X220. Since I went through the full method once all I needed this time was:
  • update source via csup (same file)
  • apply patch, remove .rej's
  • make -j8 buildworld && make installworld
  • reboot
!!ATTENTION!! READ THE UPDATED FAQ HERE: http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU
8. I get a reject in i915_suspend.c.
The cause is that you use subversion-freebsd, which causes $FreeBSD$ tag expansion in the checkout. Manually edit the i915_suspend.c before applying the patch, to undo the expanded $FreeBSD$ tag into it short form.

9. I get a reject in i915_mem.c.
Remove this file, also remove i915_mem.c.rej, i915_mem.c.orig.

No ports upgrading or Xorg merging. Works like a charm. I don't get any crashing on 3D video or games through Wine. So far 13.7 and 14.9 work for me. Keep up the good work!

grigorovl said:
Works like a charm. I don't get any crashing on 3D video or games through Wine. So far 13.7 and 14.9 work for me. Keep up the good work!

Good metric. I have the same machine, and looking forward to install fBSD FreeBSD on it as well.

What kind of games are you using to test this? Would you mind listing any work, and their condition (performance? working flawlessly?). Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I have an i3 540 Clarkdale, with Intel HD graphics. If someone has this configuration please let me know if it works with freebsd FreeBSD. I can't get it running with Intel drivers.

Please someone write here step by step what to do after installinging a fresh freebsd FreeBSD 9-STABLE 64 or 32 bit, with latest patch for Intel HD graphics.

Or maybe to upgrade to freebsd FreeBSD 10-CURRENT with a step by step instruction.

@grigorovl
I don't get any crashing on 3D video or games through Wine

Try to run Neverball or Neverputt and you will find a lot of crashes. There is a problem when too many objects need to be rendered. Neverball crashes after ~30 seconds of playing and Neverputt crashes after ~3 minutes of playing.

Also, I found that if you play something in fullscreen the crash repro rate is lower than if you run the same thing in window mode. For example, if I run DOS games with dosbox in fullscreen, I can play even for 30 minutes without any crash. Maybe that's why you didn't find crashes on 3D video games in Wine (maybe you run your games in fullscreen mode).

Another way to hang up the system is to compile something in X. Just open an xterm and install something from ports.

I didn't find any notable improvements between 13.7 and 14.x so far.

phpwolf said:
Another way to hang up the system is to compile something in X. Just open an xterm and install something from ports.

Never had that problem so far, though here the system crashes when randomly right-clicking in kdevelop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back