FreeBSD Foundation's New Project: Implement GEM/KMS/DRI for Intel Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have no doubt Konstantine is working on it. But it would be nice to have some news about how it progresses.

Some time ago I read in the PC-BSD forums that it was expected in the Summer (which is around the corner). If it is to be released this Summer, I think it would be necessary to have the code somewhere, in a svn or p4 server, because I think it will need some testing.

Moreover there are a lot of people who have to run in VESA mode because the Intel boards are all around. A lot of laptops have it. And with laptops VESA is a PITA because of the non-standard VESA modes like the 16:9 and 16:10 widescreens. That makes a lot of systems unusable. For all of these people having some news would be nice.

I'm using an Intel chipset on my laptop so this is good news. The existing Intel driver is good for most things here, but I'm really looking forward to proper 3D acceleration. :) KDE 3.5 sets my desktop resolution to 1680x1050 just fine, but games like quakeforge run slowly, and some others don't run at all. I'd gladly donate to the development if I had money to offer... :(

aZ said:
They have nothing at all! Suggestive of deception.
Please be patient to the developers. They've a lot of slave work to do 'cause KMS is kernel-related. In my opinion, any kernel-related stuffs are difficult to deal with. Feel free if you want to help them. :stud

YZMSQ said:
Feel free if you want to help them. :stud

I wrote him a letter two weeks ago and received no response. No news, and the game of hide and seek .. How can you be patient?

I think that FreeBSD Foundation is obliged to check the status of his work. Otherwise, just patiently wait for what may not happen - is absurd.

Right! Salary from FreeBSD Foundation!. I'm worried about what this Ukrainian "developer" is not ate pork fat and vodka on the FreeBSD Foundation money instead of implementing the GEM/KMS/DRI.

aZ said:
Right! Salary from FreeBSD Foundation!. I'm worried about what this Ukrainian "developer" is not ate pork fat and vodka on the FreeBSD Foundation money instead of implementing the GEM/KMS/DRI.

Konstantin has demonstrated his commitment to FreeBSD with years of "free" work and was elected by his peers to the core team. Based on his record why do you doubt he will get the project done? Why the quotes around developer? What difference does it make that he's from Ukraine?

I would say shut up and wait, it's not Linux world where all the development work is tweeted all the way all araound while almost nothing was done, in BSD world it's about taking your head down, writing the code, testing, debugging and when it's finally ready, simple mail message takes place that informs people that that, that and that has been done, and its ready to use, commited, merged and done, nothing more, nothing less.

Give him a little time and patience, mates ...

Shut up and wait? Haha. Way of slaves. Wait more for manna from heaven. Hope dies last.

I do not want to troll. I just wanted to see the status and development plan. Such information from anyone I had not made. All clear. No more questions I have.

P.S. About Ukranian's. I had business with them many times. They always lie and cheat. Also, I was in Kiev and police tried to rob me. Maybe bad luck, but it is my experience.

For all those who doubted; Kostik posted the following to the current@ mailing list this morning:

Subject: Intel GPU kernel driver

[Please remove current@ when replying.]

I created the first code drop for the ongoing GEM/KMS project. Please note that this is not an end-user release, and even _not_ a call for testing. The project is not finished yet, and I expect quite more efforts from me even after the scheduled project end, and from ports/x11 people, before the driver and usermode infrastructure will be ready for the general public consumption.

That said, the patch is only of use for you now if you want to review, debug or otherwise help the project. The driver is known to be unstable, some parts are missing, some (esp. VM changes) are under the discussion and propably will be changed.

If you have fix or useful bug analisys or suggestions for improvements, you are welcome. I will not answer to the support requests for this code now, please do not waste your time asking for it.

The pointers to the patches, useful hints for debugging and bug reporting, and some notes are at the http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU. I will maintain this page further.

Current patch is ~50KLOC, it took quite an efforts to bring the code to the state where there is something to debug. Thanks for everybody who waited for it, and please be patient while the further work is done.

Any of you detractors willing to offer up a public apology?

phoenix said:
Any of you detractors willing to offer up a public apology?

Of course not. Now it's just part of useless code made at fast hand after well-founded public charges. Without it we would have waited another couple of months (years). Where is public apology from "Kostik"?

Enough of this smear campaign, @aZ. Help the guy test his patches and code, or just wait. I'm sure the FreeBSD Foundation doesn't need this kind of unfounded accusations to manage their own projects. Neither the Foundation nor the developer owe you a personal explanation. Moreover, these forums, since they're almost entirely end-user-oriented, play no role in this at all, so it is a poor (and highly annoying) location for your soapbox.

This is good, eagerly awaiting the day it is finished. *flips hair back like Triple H :e*

Those attacks were indeed uncalled for, but it sure is nice to see some updates on progress!
I recently aquired Lenovo x220 with the hope that I will be able to run FreeBSD on it soon (currently running Ubuntu) and it seems to me that a lot of progress has been made regarding that!
I wish many sleepless nights and lots of coffee for Konstantine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back