FreeBSD Forums header area (above the Forums button) directing readers to oudated content (outdated Handbook, and so on)

It would be nice, (though as I'm not volunteering to do it, I should shut up), if documents had a date at the top. A lot of times, web searches will bring one to a handbook page, with no knowledge of when it was written. It might still be good, it might be outdated and no longer accurate, but if we had the date on the document, that would be useful.

I shouldn't take this too far off-topic but yes, certainly, documents should be dated. Some documents that were previously dated are no longer dated. scottro I'll draw attention to your post in a documents area. Thanks.

IMO the handbook should be versioned. like this version for releng/13+current, another version for releng/12+the_current_that_was_current_at_that_time, etc

Which brings it up to the my first point: this whole thread is barking up the wrong tree
No, it isn't.

From what I get out of this discussion, there are documentation links on the FreeBSD website, and also some people apepar to see these links on the forums website, but the latter appear outdated.
If this is the case then it is unacceptable: Normal people will not sort out which specific website they are currently on, they will just use these links and expect that proper content will appear.

But, fact is: the forum does not have these links! At least, I don't get them shown (with blue design).

So this is not a problem of FreeBSD website, it is not a problem of forum website, it is a problem with some of the color layouts that were designed -> clearly the responsibility of the forum admins.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
But, fact is: the forum does not have these links! At least, I don't get them shown (with blue design).

Okay, that's interesting. I didn't know, the structure of website is not consistent among different theme colours. Thanks for the heads-up.

The big FreeBSD banner at the top should be the same as the banner at the top of the FreeBSD site. But because we can't embed it as an iframe (or something similar, due to security constraints, different sites, etc) danger@ copies the banner to various Xenforo directories (not exactly sure where Xenforo keeps these). The banner on the FreeBSD site recently changed but it hasn't been updated on the forums yet.

… blue …
Thanks, I wasn't aware of the different styles.

BlueFreeBSD lacks a link to the FreeBSD home page:
  • the FreeBSD logo (without the word Forums) refers to forums, should refer to the FreeBSD home page
  • the Forums button refers to forums ☑

the top freebsd menu links should be fixed now. if there are some other problems pointed out in this thread, please point those directly at me. It has been quite a few years since I set this part of the forums up.

Back