Some of the tools I use for creating videos include:
- Apple Keynote for presentation
- Adobe Captivate (desktop version) for video editing and screen recording
- Screencast-o-matic for screen recording
- Lumi to create interactive H5P packages

Lumi might work on FreeBSD, none of the others do, but I would consider alternative tools.

First: does anybody know if Lumi can be installed on FreeBSD?

I know about Google Slides and LibreOffice Impress. Google slides does not replace Keynote's functionality, I don't think Impress does either. Keynote has excellent, integrated, features for animation, creating voice-overs, and exporting to video. I think these things can be done in Impress, but I think that would be much more difficult and time consuming.

I know there are screen recorders for FreeBSD. But I don't know if there are any that have advanced features like pan-and-zoom, drawing on top of the recording - circling words, drawing arrows, etc.,

Adobe Captivate is no longer sold for the desktop. It is now an expensive online subscription service. I could probably use the subscription service under FreeBSD, but I don't care to. I have a 2019 desktop version for windows, but I don't think that will even run under wine.

Any idea appreciated.

Use multimedia that works with HTML5. HTML5 accepted formats for audio and video are universal. I see you listed an Adobe product for making videos, but don't go with being forced to output to Adobe Flash.

For screen recording, you can try multimedia/peek. Look in ports for free multimedia creation/editing. For audio recordings only, audio/audacity or its alternatives were good.

If you can use Wine or another form of emulation for what you want to do, go for that.

Thank you. Peek looks pretty good, I don't think it has the advanced features I was looking for, still could be useful.

I have used audacity before. Great product. I have also used openshot, I know openshot used to work on FreeBSD, I assume it still does.

Not sure if Lumi runs on wine. I would prefer to run it natively. It runs on Linux.

I'm a cinerella-GG guy, myself. I fought with it for enough years that I kind of exhibit a cult loyalty now that it actually works. It is not for the faint of heart though.

I use cinelerra for compositing and scene editing, ffmpeg for transcoding, and audacity for audio track editing.

I know there are screen recorders for FreeBSD. But I don't know if there are any that have advanced features like pan-and-zoom, drawing on top of the recording - circling words, drawing arrows, etc.,
For me that all belongs to video editing - not recording. For screen recording I'm using recordmydesktop, for video editing kdenlive. Also I'm using some selfmade scripts for things like writing a few words on the screen (using f.e. ImageMagick to render text images).

Does Lumi need to connect to the H5P servers? I have used Lumi on Linux. I thought it was a stand-a-lone desktop application.

1687292392145.png

Back