FreeBSD Development Model book - need update?

Hi there,

The Release branches chapter in the FreeBSD Development Model book meantions that

The latest -CURRENT version is always referred to as -CURRENT, while the latest -STABLE release is always referred to as -STABLE. In this figure, -STABLE refers to 4-STABLE while -CURRENT refers to 5.0-CURRENT following 5.0-RELEASE

To me, it should be

....In this figure, -STABLE refers to 5-STABLE while -CURRENT refers to 6.0-CURRENT following 5.0-RELEASE

This is my interpretation of the picture given on that page indeed.

The development model changed drastically around the time of FreeBSD 5 and we got what is now in place with CURRENT staying as the head branch in the revision control and all the other branches derived from it.

That picture certainly needs updating.

Right now, I am a bit confused about -CURRENT vs -RELEASE concept?

Where shall I rectify this so that the book will get updated?

Unfortunately my old drawing is using the branch names from the CVS repository so it doesn't make much sense anymore. Here's a new one using the SVN branch names:

Code:
-----------------------------------> head aka 11-CURRENT
   |                         |
   |--releng/9.0             |--releng/10.0
   |--releng/9.1             |--releng/10.1
   |--releng/9.2             |--releng/10.2
   |--releng/9.3             |
   |                       stable/10
   | 
stable/9

My understanding is ; releng/10.2 (which is FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE ?) has more recent versions of software on it compared to FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE.

Question is; howcome we can have 10.2-RELEASE and 10.2-STABLE available for download at the same time? If 10.2 is a -RELEASE, then what is 10.2-STABLE? To me, -STABLE is the final version (or the most STABLE version) of any branch and shows the end of development cycle for that particular X.X branch (as in stable/9) before -CURRENT becomes the main development branch.

Any suggestions for the place where I should send the documentation update request to?

RELEASE is a snapshot of 10-STABLE at the release date. 10-STABLE development continues. Security and major bug fixes are backported to the previous release, but new features usually are not.

See Upgrading FreeBSD To -STABLE. It explains that "stable" probably does not mean what you think.

A late update.....

The development model changed drastically around the time of FreeBSD 5 and we got what is now in place with CURRENT staying as the head branch in the revision control and all the other branches derived from it.

That picture certainly needs updating.
As per kpa's suggestion, I have created a bug report for the relevant update in the figure, but doubt that it will get any urgent attention from maintainers or committers.

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=203709

Back