FreeBSD Desktop for PineBook Pro

This thread contains most of what has to be done to make a FreeBSD image from scratch that runs on Pinebook Pro. In short U-Boot should be patched a long the lines of https://reviews.freebsd.org/D28456 and then one could add some other not mainlined patches the sound work of gonzo@ and perhaps some of the work of sos@ I also have some slightly outdated instructions here http://build.schmitz.computer/build/notes.txt. You'll have to use the patched u-boot's idbloader.img and u-boot.itb

I've been trying to get FreeBSD running on the Pinebook Pro and have met with zero luck. Went the route of using the Rockpro64 image and overwriting as per the README for the u-boot-pinebookpro pkg with no joy. But your images boot and work fine for me! Is there anywhere where you have documented what you did to get it to work?
I am using my own custom build u-boot-2020.07
And that solves all the problems

This repository contains the u-boot versions for many devices on Rockchip.
Many ports allow u-boot to be built for SPI flash as well.

u-boot-helios64-2020.07
u-boot-khadas-edge-v-2020.07
u-boot-nanopc-t4-2020.07
u-boot-nanopi-r4s-2020.07
u-boot-pinebook-pro-2020.07
u-boot-roc-rk3399-pc-plus-2020.07
u-boot-rock-pi-4-2020.07
u-boot-rock-pi-4c-2020.07
u-boot-rock-pi-e-2020.07
u-boot-rock-pi-n10-2020.07

Installation images for all these devices can be downloaded from my website
https://personalbsd.org/?page_id=2

All of these images contain a modified bsdinstall.
It allows you to install the system as zfs root on eMMC, USB or NVMe.

Sleepwalker, any chance you could package up your custom uboot for the SPI-flash? my emmc uboot doesn't fully boot your image correctly, and if I'm not mistaken your uboot can boot everything.

Sleepwalker, any chance you could package up your custom uboot for the SPI-flash? my emmc uboot doesn't fully boot your image correctly, and if I'm not mistaken your uboot can boot everything.
Hey, I got a spare emmc and am really enjoying the image. Having weird mouse/keyboard crashing issue, is that fixed in the new 7/02 release? The link isn't working and I'd like to give it a spin.

I just wanted to pop in here again and say a big thank you to SleepWalker for making FreeBSD work on the Pinebook Pro. Thanks to the image you made, I managed to correct a problem with my ENIGMA dev fork installer script and the software can now run on arm64 FreeBSD, not just amd64 and i386. I also have a raspberry pi 4 I could do this on, but unfortunately the screen resolution was just way too small to get any kind of real work done on it, so doing it on the Pinebook Pro was a much better option.

C1BoU9.png

Thank you!! :D

I also have a raspberry pi 4 I could do this on, but unfortunately the screen resolution was just way too small to get any kind of real work done on it
Using the xf86-video-scfb driver only is not enough. The trick is to edit /boot/msdos/config.txt and disable the hdmi_safe=1 entry.
Once done, you'll get a 1080p resolution which is sufficient. (Tested on Raspberry Pi 400)

Hi guys!
What do you think of helloSystem for Pinebook-Pro?
Will be checking it out tonight and will post my thoughts afterward. Thank you for everything!

Edit: oh, I gotcha. You haven't done it yet and was asking whether we'd want it. I'm kinda pleased with XFCE personally, but I may be willing to at least give it a try if and when the time comes.

Hi there Sleepwalker, thanks for your work on the Pinebook Pro!

I am using FreeBSD-aarch64-13.0-RELEASE-Pinebook-Pro-20211012.img on it (dd to the internal mmcsd0) and I am trying to get wifi connectivity through an ASUS N10 Nano dongle.
Since this is the new B1 version of the dongle which uses a different USB ProductID & chipset I need to recompile the kernel / rtwn module.

Can you point me to the kernel configuration used in this image?

Thanks in advance, John

I am using FreeBSD-aarch64-13.0-RELEASE-Pinebook-Pro-20211012.img on it (dd to the internal mmcsd0) and I am trying to get wifi connectivity through an ASUS N10 Nano dongle.
Since this is the new B1 version of the dongle which uses a different USB ProductID & chipset I need to recompile the kernel / rtwn module.

Thanks in advance, John

Thanks in advance, John
You can send me a patch and I will prepare a new boot image

Is any one else getting a blank black screen with some white horizonal stripes (flickering) on the top of the LCD screen ?
I'm using your u-boot SleepWalker + 20210702 image. From the serial console I can see the image boots just fine and I can login.

Back