FreeBSD clock?

How do I make FreeBSD display clock on screen?

So, I have a WIFI hotspot running 24/7 on an HP TC1100 with its screen always on. Right now it just logs an occasional innocuous wifi device timeout message on screen. It would be so nice to make this screen real estate functional and display a clock or something. Is that possible? Maybe an Ascii clock? Maybe add an area below it for an ascii/text weather report? Anything like that exists in the wild?

I suspect I'm not the only one who has this situation?

top(1) shows a clock in the upper‑right hand corner, so I thought how about showing some network statistics: 🕸️
Bash:
systat -ifstat -match 'em*' 1 # replace 'em*' interface name pattern as appropriate
If this already too much you can write something like: 🆙
Bash:
while uptime ; do sleep 60 ; tput clear ; done # or maybe `w` instead of `uptime`?
Ultimately I recommend to conserve energy. 🌻 Turn the screen off unless you really have people walking by 24/7 (like in a major train station concourse).​

PS: ASCII Unicode weather report is misc/wthrr (pulls Rust in). 🌦️

Thank you! I don't think I can turn the screen off...it's old technology...and it's not running X server to access the display stuff. Maybe there is a way still to turn it off?

All these would work when the terminal is logged out, right?

If the screen supports Display Power Management Signaling and you installed and ran an X server (change the appropriate line in /etc/ttys from off to on), you could invoke 🌉
Bash:
DISPLAY=:0 xset dpms force off # setting DISPLAY=:0 is usually unnecessary
Unfortunately it is not available from the console, Thread 50626, and vt(4) does not yet support blanking, PR 233356, although the rc.conf(5) variables documented suggest to provide such a mechanism. 🙁

I think you should go ahead and at least show some information. I proposed displaying network statistics, but how about some info not “for nerds”? 📅 Does your business/company have an enterprise‑wide calendar? 🚏 Maybe there is a bus stop nearby and you can show a departure table? 📰 Showing a newsfeed (RSS, Atom) is also a nice option.​

If the screen supports Display Power Management Signaling and you installed and ran an X server (change the appropriate line in /etc/ttys from off to on), you could invoke 🌉
Bash:
DISPLAY=:0 xset dpms force off # setting DISPLAY=:0 is usually unnecessary
Unfortunately it is not available from the console, Thread 50626, and vt(4) does not yet support blanking, PR 233356, although the rc.conf(5) variables documented suggest to provide such a mechanism. 🙁

I think you should go ahead and at least show some information. How about some info not “for nerds”? 📅 Does your business/company have an enterprise‑wide calendar? 🚏 Maybe there is a bus stop nearby and you can show a departure table?​
No one is going to run an X server on a server or some networking use case. :-/ Sigh.

This is all private use.

Back