FreeBSD API documentation

The APUE tarball seems interesting. But I don't see some interesting parts. Sound API for example. Where do I find the API's for network interface?

@trasz@ - I took an overview of the man pages. It looked promising to begin with.

I guess I'm looking for something else.

Assume I want to know all the system calls to the sound sub-system. Is there a place that list all the functions and a mention of the related header file and link library names?

Hi !

SR_Ind said:
The APUE tarball seems interesting. But I don't see some interesting parts. Sound API for example. Where do I find the API's for network interface?
[...]
Assume I want to know all the system calls to the sound sub-system. Is there a place that list all the functions and a mention of the related header file and link library names?

SR_Ind, I'm also interested to learn how to use the API. Here is what I found:

- A good example to get information on network interface: http://www.lemoda.net/freebsd/net-interfaces/index.html

- About the sound API, give a look to the man sound(4) in the section "Runtime Configuration" you got the sysctl variables, now you can check here: man sysctl(3)

I hope it helps you !

Flogo

Yes. Please see manual pages in section 2 (syscalls) and 3 (library calls); they live in /usr/share/man/man2 and /usr/share/man/man3, respectively.
I t
Yes. Please see manual pages in section 2 (syscalls) and 3 (library calls); they live in /usr/share/man/man2 and /usr/share/man/man3, respectively.
Can you explain how to do that? i can't seem to find anything about syscalls with 'man syscall' which merely describe the function ,plus library calls manual live in /usr/share/man/man3 ? how to read it? there are only there. Is there a documentation (like the ones in 'en-freebsd-doc' package ?
thks

Is there a FreeBSD API documentation somewhere?
SR_Ind, you may find Developers' Handook useful. Also, you can find a list of available system calls in syscall.h .

Code:
less /usr/include/sys/syscall.h
Where do I find the API's for network interface?
SR_Ind, check netintro(4) for the implementation of network layer. Also, you may want to have a bit of ifconfig(8) source code reading to see some code examples. You will see that rather than having a high level API, many things are implemented as ioctl(2) calls to NIC driver.

Can you explain how to do that? i can't seem to find anything about syscalls with 'man syscall' which merely describe the function
TonyMeteo , this link explains what a syscall is. Also, intro(2) manual page is a good starting point before diving into details.

plus library calls manual live in /usr/share/man/man3 ? how to read it? there are only there
I am sure you know what man(1) and apropos(1) commands are?

Is there a documentation (like the ones in 'en-freebsd-doc' package ?
See my reply to SR_Ind above.

Back