FreeBSD and HDMI TV

Hello, I am going to work in this days from my home, so I am taking to my home the CPU only. I wonder if it will work with my TV that has HDMI since I do not have a Display in my home.
Will it work or I need to add some other driver or software? I am asking now since at this moment I have the chance to install what ever I need before going home. Thanks in advance.

Hello, I am going to work in this days from my home, so I am taking to my home the CPU only. I wonder if it will work with my TV that has HDMI since I do not have a Display in my home.
Will it work or I need to add some other driver or software? I am asking now since at this moment I have the chance to install what ever I need before going home. Thanks in advance.
That depends entirely on your video card model - does it have HDMI output?

Check your CPU to see if it has an HDMI port... Some only have a Display Port port in which case you would need a DP<->HDMI cable.

Then simply connect the HDMI port of the computer to the HDMI port of the TV. You don't need drivers or anything for that. It'll act like any normal monitor. The only thing that might happen is that you may need to fiddle with the TV settings to "fit" the screen onto the TV. Most TVs will turn on overscan or resize the picture (even if you set the TV to 16x9).

Then simply connect the HDMI port of the computer to the HDMI port of the TV. You don't need drivers or anything for that. It'll act like any normal monitor. The only thing that might happen is that you may need to fiddle with the TV settings to "fit" the screen onto the TV. Most TVs will turn on overscan or resize the picture (even if you set the TV to 16x9).
Thank you SirDice, nice to see you around after so many years.

I wonder if it will work with my TV that has HDMI since I do not have a Display in my home.
One of my FreeBSD machines uses this motherboard (ASUS N3150I-C):

... and HDMI output works very well. Its FreeBSD 12.2 at the moment.

The HDMI output works out of the box even without i915kms.ko module.

Of course it also works with i915kms.ko module and with X11 graphics.

Hope that helps.

Back