• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FreeBSD accessed via grub2

Vjetar

cd said:
Yeah, besides changing configuration parse, structure and location, and shortcuts in grub2, I just wonder why they decided to change partition numbering but did not change the disk numbering - this is why I dont like Linux anymore - it has no standard at all.
It's not linux thing. You can always use some other bootloader.

cd

Vjetar said:
It's not linux thing. You can always use some other bootloader.
Well, okay, it's not only the Linux thing is to change everything all the time in a confusing way - when they changed to start counting from 1, it should impact all counting, I guess.

Unfortunately, I can also use Windows bootloader to boot the FreeBSD, as the BSD's loader cannot load Linux (grub2) and Win (>5) anymore..?

alantis13

I am having problems with grub2 as well.

I want to run FreeBSD on the 2nd partition and creating /boot/grub/grub.cfg with

Code:
menuentry "FreeBSD"{
    insmod ufs2
    set root=(hd0,2,a)
    kfreebsd /boot/loader
    chainloader +1
}
does not work.

I tried the following commands:
[cmd=]grub-install hd0[/cmd]
[cmd=]grub-install /dev/ad4[/CMD] gives me errors on grub-probe.

However,
[CMD=]grub-install --modules=part_gpt /dev/ad4[/CMD]
[CMD=]grub-mkconfig[/cmd]
has no errors but get thrown in grub rescue with no way to read /boot from any slices or partitions.

Vjetar

alantis13 said:
I want to run FreeBSD on the 2nd partition and creating /boot/grub/grub.cfg with
grub2 is not configured via grub.cfg any more. Here are some useful articles about grub2 configuring:
Code:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2

ahavatar

alantis13 said:

Code:
menuentry "FreeBSD"{
    insmod ufs2
    set root=(hd0,2,a)
    kfreebsd /boot/loader
    chainloader +1
}
does not work.

I tried the following commands:
grub-install hd0
grub-install /dev/ad4 gives me errors on grub-probe.

However,
grub-install --modules=part_gpt /dev/ad4
grub-mkconfig
has no errors but get thrown in grub rescue with no way to read /boot from any slices or partitions.
My grub2 install on Ubuntu looks like:

Code:
menuentry "FreeBSD"{
    set root=(hd0,2)
    chainloader +1
}

It has chainload+1 and just the whole FreeBSD partition (not slice specific). Try it if it works.

alantis13

Sorry wrong thread, too many tabs open. My situation is grub related just that no flavor of Linux is involved, only Windows and FreeBSD. Yes I can boot FreeBSD via grub2 (installed through ports system) when it is on the 1st partition, however that is not what I want. Anyways, I appreciate your guys' time trying to help me.

No need to repond to this post.

Yampress

easy

Code:
menuentry "FreeBSD 8-STABLE " {
	insmod ufs2
    	set root=(hd0,3) 
	chainloader +1
	}
change this set root=(hd0,3) and be okay.

user0

Re:

zeiz said:
Not quite right.
In Grub2 drives are still counted from 0 but partitions from 1.
So if hd0,5 in Grub1 was for partition#6 (sda6 in linux) that is hd0,6 (sda6) now in Grub2.
Wow, good to know! I knew grub2 developer had serious issues, but this is over the top.