FreeBSD 9

I have been hearing about this FreeBSD 9 and I was wondering what FreeBSD 9 is all about. I'm running 8.2 release on my desktop at home. Is FreeBSD 9 a developement version for testing or can anyone use it? Is there a separate ports tree for it? And how can I get the development release to play with on my desktop?

Cheers.

wokko said:
I have been hearing about this freebsd 9 and i was wondering what freebsd 9 is all about.

What's cooking for FreeBSD 9?

im running 8.2 release on my desktop at home.
is freebsd 9 a developement version for testing or can anyone use it ?

It's a development version for testing, but anyone willing to put up with possibly unstable code can use it.

is there a separate port tree for it ?

There is only one ports tree. It's the same for all versions of FreeBSD.

and how can i get the development release to play with on my desktop.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/

Your disk device names may change, v8 >> v9, so fstab rewriting may be expedient AFAIK. (or glabelling...) I built it sort of just to try it out, but with a lot of work it ended up more-or-less perfect. (On a secondary machine).

Cheers wblock. Got it now. Will install after download is finished. Thanks for your help.

From /usr/src/UPDATING
NOTE TO PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT FreeBSD 9.x IS SLOW:
FreeBSD 9.x has many debugging features turned on, in both the kernel
and userland. These features attempt to detect incorrect use of
system primitives, and encourage loud failure through extra sanity
checking and fail stop semantics. They also substantially impact
system performance. If you want to do performance measurement,
benchmarking, and optimization, you'll want to turn them off. This
includes various WITNESS- related kernel options, INVARIANTS, malloc
debugging flags in userland, and various verbose features in the
kernel. Many developers choose to disable these features on build
machines to maximize performance. (To disable malloc debugging, run
ln -s aj /etc/malloc.conf.)
From GENERIC kernel:
Code:
# Debugging for use in -current
options         KDB                     # Enable kernel debugger support.
options         DDB                     # Support DDB.
options         GDB                     # Support remote GDB.
options         DEADLKRES               # Enable the deadlock resolver
options         INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra sanity checking
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
options         WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
options         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on spinlocks for speed
options         MALLOC_DEBUG_MAXZONES=8 # Separate malloc(9) zones
And finally from the handbook.
I think that if you want to stay "current" then you should really understand why those debugging symbols are in. Also keep in mind that if you come into problems those are the first things asked in the mailing-list.
Regards,

Hey guys, just finished installing FreeBSD 9 and everything is running smooth at the moment. Thank you to everyone for your help. I having done anything about this debugging stuff, it seems to reboot fine, so I was just wondering should I rebuild my kernel or do what the last two replies have said? I am only using FreeBSD 9 on my pc at home.

First, bring your source tree and system up to date. I run my kernel without the debug symbols but keep a GENERIC copy also just in case.

Back