FreeBSD 9: awesome and made of win

I think this version is (finally) the end of my long, sordid affair with Linux and my occasional flings with Windows.

Exhibit A: My wifi and ethernet work! And so does my ACPI! At the same time, too!

Exhibit B: Both KDE 3 and Firefox 10 are available in the package repos.

Exhibit C: automounter. Works just like the mounting system in Win2k... Or like autofs on Linux, only much less finicky and much more friendly. HAL automounting in KDE didn't work, so I installed this; now I have no reason to use HAL automounting at all.

Next up: printing via CUPS, and maybe ACPI suspend/hibernate if I can be bothered.

Meanwhile I am quite greatful to the FreeBSD developers for maintaining this OS, fixing its bugs, and not breaking everything every six months! Thanks guys!

Thanks. :D

Printing now works, wifi works, and though the KDE power manager tray icon doesn't work, apm -z does... So I think I am all set.

throAU said:
Welcome. FreeBSD = Unix for Unix people. Linux is pretty much "Unix" for Windows people.

The old saying goes something like:
FreeBSD is for those who love UNIX(tm).
Linux is for those who hate Windows(tm).

:) And it's so true, on so many levels. :D

• Thanks
Reactions: 0mp
It is, isn't it? Linux is nice in some ways, but it lacks a coherent vision, let alone coherent development and maintenance. The BSDs have both. Shame that GNU/Linux is the more popular OS; I think that, if more people knew about *BSD, the popular opinion of free software and its quality might be very different.

P.S. automounter is great. It actually respects device node permissions!

rossiya said:
Linux is just a kernel. ;)

Yeah, someone unfortunately named it incorrectly. It should just be called 'Lin' and then only once an appropriate user-land is developed for it (perhaps in the next 200 years). Then it can be allowed to be called Linux.

pestaa said:
This sums up my feelings very well, thank you. (Tweeted with attribution to you.)

The original quote was "BSD is for people who love UNIX and Linux is for people who hate Windows."

Not sure the origin. OpenBSD developers maybe.

I'm not too sure about the "made of win" part when it comes to the xml style sysctl variables in the recent releases- somebody didn't exactly announce that the format would change. Whitehorn's BSD install disks didn't have that shortcoming.

drhowarddrfine said:
It was me. Last week. On a Tuesday.

Theo? Is that you? :)

ZOMGLOLOLOLChEeZbooGEr!!!

(GNUNIX == Failsauce | *BSD << WIN)

... Sorry. I couldn't resist! Everyone knows FreeBSD can install awesomeWM and is made of fairy dust filled with lemon meringue whipped from tangerine dreams with a minimal amount of binary drug usage. :):):)

If this is true use the old un-broken version (or port pkg from). They can break it but they cannot erase past that was stable: it still it.

I think it's a shame they are breaking old things by lying on and mis-using major / minor lib versions. Though most of it no one is discussing the most important issues of unix with newbies - newbies then go on to write good features that break a lot of shit and require breaking other software to install! :)

They can break libs like a DLL hell and hide drivers. it won't on unix - on unix everyone sees it plainly it's designed that way - on unix there is always a awk like to fix havoc.

GullibleJones said:
...Shame that GNU/Linux is the more popular OS; I think that, if more people knew about *BSD, the popular opinion of free software and its quality might be very different.

No. If more people of a certain type knew of *BSD, they would try to participate and we would end up with steering comitees trying to design software by controlled democracy. If refused they would cry foul and start throwing things at the bikesheds. I think you know who I mean ;)

Any software can only be as good as the developers who build it and the environment they do it in. So the larger the projects, the larger the manpower needs to be, and with increased numbers you also get those who enjoy p****ng into the pool. From the high board.

</rant> ;)

No, FreeBSD would take off if you could stop people in these forums telling others it is a server software only. I stopped using it when I couldn't even get Gnome to automount a USB Stick and external HDDs. Yes, it needs to be easier to use for the masses.

That is why I personally still use DEBIAN and CENTOS. Ease of use and not wanting to remember 100's of commands to get something to work that I can do with a GUI. Nevermind the installer still sucks copy UBUNTU's.

GullibleJones said:
It is, isn't it? Linux is nice in some ways, but it lacks a coherent vision, let alone coherent development and maintenance. The BSDs have both. Shame that GNU/Linux is the more popular OS; I think that, if more people knew about *BSD, the popular opinion of free software and its quality might be very different.

P.S. automounter is great. It actually respects device node permissions!

I ran a FreeBSD desktop for years, but ran into a series of issues about 4 years ago and switched my desktop to Ubuntu... I still run 'tcsh' as my shell, and most of my servers run FreeBSD. Frankly, I rarely look under the hood on a desktop -- they are more like disposable things that I want to set up real fast. Servers and network devices on the other hand... FreeBSD all the way!

If I have time, perhaps I'll try a BSD desktop again... someday...

GreenMeanie said:
No, FreeBSD would take off if you could stop people in these forums telling others it is a server software only. I stopped using it when I couldn't even get Gnome to automount a USB Stick and external HDDs. Yes, it needs to be easier to use for the masses.

That is why I personally still use DEBIAN and CENTOS. Ease of use and not wanting to remember 100's of commands to get something to work that I can do with a GUI. Nevermind the installer still sucks copy UBUNTU's.

No, it doesn't, because the "masses" are not target audience.
If you find it hard, stick to Debian/CentOS/Ubuntu or something else.

It's quite easy to set up system-based automounter via devd and some scripting (which can be found on this very forum).

OTOH, I agree about the installer (not that we need to copy Ubuntu, but it still lacks features).

At first I hated the new installer so much but now I love it. The only thing that bothers me is that you cant just hit 'a' to auto-partition the hard drive. I mean you can but it just creates a single '/' partition instead of separate ones for /usr, /var, and /tmp like the old installer did. Does any body know what's up with that?

Oh and GreanMeanie:
GreenMeanie said:
I stopped using it
Thank god you got weeded out, so why are you still here whining?
when I couldn't even get Gnome to automount a USB Stick and external HDDs.
Haha, you must be REALLY smart about computers. By any chance are you the guy they consulted when writing this CSI episode? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

mharvey87 said:
At first I hated the new installer so much but now I love it. The only thing that bothers me is that you cant just hit 'a' to auto-partition the hard drive. I mean you can but It just creates a single '/' partition instead of separate ones for /usr, /var, and /tmp like the old installer did. Does any body know what's up with that?

The FreeBSD team woke up to the fact that having all of those separate partitions is of little value on most systems. Those that disagree are free to do it themselves.

Back