FreeBSD 9.0 i386 ZFS and bullet points

Hi,

I have been staring my self blind on faq, documentation and guides for installing FreeBSD 9.0 onto ZFS.

I won't list all of the material I have read nor the guides followed. But simply that I have not managed a successful setup. It always ends in different ways, with my limited skill set I have no way of debugging what is wrong.

So I'm pleading with you guys not for a guide to follow but a listing of things that needs to be done to end up with a successful installation of FreeBSD 9.0 (tips and tricks are welcome too).

Then I will read up on everything that I need to learn. I'm new to this community so please be respectful and reply with consideration.

Kind Regards, dadda

check this out
Just pay attention to it as sometimes it happens that you miss 1 character and the whole thing goes to hell. Especially when you are unsure of yourself. One thing I can say about the article is that it does produce a bootable and working setup.

BTW: if you are installing on some weird hardware, it might be worth mentioning (ex: no way you can install FreeBSD+GPT+ZFS on a Lenovo T420s - only FreeBSD+MBR+ZFS).

dadda said:
So I'm pleading with you guys not for a guide to follow but a listing of things that needs to be done to end up with a successful installation of FreeBSD 9.0 (tips and tricks are welcome too).
Your post title mentions i386. ZFS wants lots of memory - generally more than the 4GB limit in i386. If you have a CPU that can't run FreeBSD's amd64 code, you may achieve a successful install but run into problems due to insufficient memory later on. Just a caution...

da1: I tried that guide but ends up with a problem with the boot procedure it constantly asks for
Code:
Manual root filesystem specification:
and a prompt with
Code:
mountroot>
What do I do now?

Terry Kennedy: Thank you for your notice.

da1 said:
check this out
Just pay attention to it as sometimes it happens that you miss 1 character and the whole thing goes to hell. Especially when you are unsure of yourself. One thing I can say about the article is that it does produce a bootable and working setup.

BTW: if you are installing on some weird hardware, it might be worth mentioning (ex: no way you can install FreeBSD+GPT+ZFS on a Lenovo T420s - only FreeBSD+MBR+ZFS).

I'll second, these are good instructions to follow. I've succesfully installed FreeBSD 9 with ZFS root on 2 servers now using these instructions as a starting point.

Back