FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 install from CD

Hi, I'm a newbie to FreeBSD. I tried installing FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 and struck with Md0 preloaded image. I'm trying to install from CD. My CD Drive is an IDE device while my hard disk is SATA. I can get to sysinstall only if I disable my SATA in bios. Doing this leads to 'no disk found' as my HDD could not get detected by FreeBSD's device probe. I have been using ubuntu and it got crashed few days earlier. So my system doesn't have any os right now. I tried all the possible combination of enabling and disabling various bios settings but the result remains the same. Is there any way to install without disabling SATA ?

kamallakkannan said:
Hi, I'm a newbie to FreeBSD. I tried installing FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 and struck with Md0 preloaded image. I'm trying to install from CD. My CD Drive is an IDE device while my hard disk is SATA. I can get to sysinstall only if I disable my SATA in bios. Doing this leads to 'no disk found' as my HDD could not get detected by FreeBSD's device probe. I have been using ubuntu and it got crashed few days earlier. So my system doesn't have any os right now. I tried all the possible combination of enabling and disabling various bios settings but the result remains the same. Is there any way to install without disabling SATA ?

One general problem with BIOS not detecting HD on SATA. I had that on an my Jetway JNC9C-550 board with some AMI BIOS.

What I did was, go into the BIOS and "load setup defaults", sounds stupid but that brought all my drives back on the controller.

This happened initially after I enabled PATA for the Marvell 88SE6145 connected to the board in the Linux kernel 2.6.36-something, it not only froze the kernel but also corrupted all connected drives.

Back