FreeBSD 8.1 is very good for gnome desktop, but...

Hi Friends:

I have installed FreeBsd 8.1 gnome on my atom 330 unit. It's very good. It looks like a real desktop system. But still have 3 problems:

1, scim can't be used in English desktop.

2, No choice to remove too many packages for other language. For me. just English and native is enough.

3, No icon can be clicked for shutdown -p now.

Who will help me? Thanks in advance.

xwwu said:
Log off. The choice to shutdown, reboot, suspend or log off will pop up.

With GDM there's an option to shutdown, somewhere at the bottom of the screen.

xwwu said:
2, No choice to remove too many packages for other language. For me. just English and native is enough.
Use pke_delete -f for unnecessary packages.

Add yourself to operator group, You will now be able to run shutdown -p now without being a root user. Just create a 'launcher' or how is it called in GNOME with that command.

vermaden said:
Use pke_delete -f for unnecessary packages.

Add yourself to operator group, You will now be able to run shutdown -p now without being a root user. Just create a 'launcher' or how is it called in GNOME with that command.

Thanks. 1, Add me to operator group already, but no work. no any difference from before.
2, pkg_delete can delete packages, but if I update my computer, maybe they will come back again as parts of gnome.

Are you starting the x server from a tty console after booting?

if you add:
Code:
gdm_enable="YES"
to your:
/etc/rc.conf

The gdm will autorun after booting, and once logging in you should see the shutdown option under "System" menu.

(please correct me if i'm wrong)

I would choose (I always choose this.)
Code:
gnome_enable="YES"

This will enable services such as GDM, HAL, D-BUS, and Avahi on system startup. If you do not want to run all of these services, you should forget the gnome_enable property, and manually enable the services you want.

The problems are come from root authority. Some function disappered when normal user, instead of root, login to gnome. Some fuction on gome no work because of no authority prompt popup window.

Thanks for demo's reply. but the restart and shutdown option at down right of screen are no work also.

Did you add yourself to the wheel, and operator groups when you created your user account?. I think that may be the issue.

$ groups
If you don't see them listed with the above command;
run this one to add an account to those groups:
# pw usermod [color="Red"][b]username[/b][/color] -G wheel,operator

demo said:
Did you add yourself to the wheel, and operator groups when you created your user account?. I think that may be the issue.

$ groups
If you don't see them listed with the above command;
run this one to add an account to those groups:
# pw usermod [color="Red"][b]username[/b][/color] -G wheel,operator

Yes, I did it.

Back