FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE !

@killasmurf86
perhaps I'm missing something but I always read /usr/src before rebuilding and right now the latest entry there is dated 09/2009, something about wireless. I'm on RELENG_8.

Or did you mean that RELENG_8 will keep carrying -PRERELEASE until -RELEASE has been officially released, and will then switch to -STABLE? That I would understand.

zeiz said:
@killasmurf86
perhaps I'm missing something but I always read /usr/src before rebuilding and right now the latest entry there is dated 09/2009, something about wireless. I'm on RELENG_8.

Well it should say:
Code:
20091125:
        8.0-RELEASE
When your cvs mirror will get updated :)

• RELENG_8_0 - Get the errata branch.
  • RELENG_8 - Get the stable branch.

For production boxes one should use RELENG_8. When 8.1 stable come out it should be changed to RELENG_8_1 and so on.

Well, I've been cvsuping from RELENG_8 regularly since seeing the 8.0 ISO files begin appearing, and there have been commits occurring there under the guise of -PRERELEASE still. I take it the ISOs that are floating around now are going to be refreshed again before the official announcement?

DutchDaemon said:
There was a time when it was impossible to build a package of sysutils/screen, but that problem has been solved (though I think there's still an open PR about it).
Yup, screen used to enter an infinite loop and sit @ 100% CPU when it was compiled on one system and used in binary form on another.

aragon said:
Yup, screen used to enter an infinite loop and sit @ 100% CPU when it was compiled on one system and used in binary form on another.

What are you talking about? I use screen everyday and never seen CPU usage problem under FreeBSD (but then all our servers are quad or dual core with multiple CPUs with minimum 8GiB). screen is by default available under all Linux distro and I'm a long time user. There is no point using random multiplexing software for every flour of UNIX out there. In our datacenter we have at least 10-12 different types of oses running (all UNIX variant). On our load balancer screen is always running with watchdogs like top, vmstat, vnstat, dnstop and some custom made tools.. I guess it is hard to quit old software ;)

i set cvs tag to RELENG_8 ,after recompilling kernel i get :
$
FreeBSD localhost 8.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-PRERELEASE #4: Sun Nov 14 06:36:37 CET 2010 SIFE@localhost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERN i386

killasmurf86 said:

Here's one of replies
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 05:01:19 -0600
To: Aldis Berjoza <xxx@gmail.com>
Cc: ports-freebsd@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: OpenOffice.org packages

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:05:46PM +0200, Aldis Berjoza wrote:
> I and some other FreeBSD users are wondering why there are no
> OpenOffice.org package available on FreeBSD Mirrors?

OpenOffice is one of our most complex packages, and, depending on which
package node it builds on, can take nearly a day to run. That plus the
large number of dependencies it has makes it hard to build.

I know that this is not a very satisfactory answer. I promise to once
again look into the problem.

mcl

If you want -RELEASE, use RELENG_8_0. When you use RELENG_8, you will probably get -STABLE as soon as -RELEASE has been officially announced.

DutchDaemon said:
If you want -RELEASE, use RELENG_8_0. When you use RELENG_8, you will probably get -STABLE as soon as -RELEASE has been officially announced.

Thanks for the heads up. Been trying to figure out how to get my system from 7.2-STABLE to 8.0-RELEASE, and found out freebsd-update would not do the trick.

Hm, I've never done a full BSD upgrade before (I've only been using freebsd for a few months), how would I go about this using freebsd-update? I'd like to upgrade to 8-STABLE (I'm running 7.2-RELEASE right now), and would prefer not to have to compile the kernel ;)

CodeBlock said:
how would I go about this using freebsd-update? I'd like to upgrade to 8-STABLE
Easy, you don't. STABLE, like CURRENT, is ever changing, and freebsd-update is used to update to something fixed like minor and major RELEASEs.
Use freebsd-update to get 8.0-RELEASE if you want, then use csup and build everything yourself to keep it up-to-date afterwards.

Here's where we stand.
Code:
FreeBSD R-1.local. 8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0: Sat Nov 21 15:48:17 UTC 2009     root@almeida.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

:D

Anyway just booted into the new kernel. Recompiling ports now. I cheated and recompiled nvidia-driver while portupgrade was working, so I could start xorg. I'm posting this from the 8.0-RELEASE box while ports are recompiling :D.

On a serious note, still no official announcement from what I see, but freebsd-update worked, and it's on the ftp servers, etc. so... not sure what they're waiting for.

CodeBlock, you didnt run portupgrade -af before freebsd-update, right? Just curious, due to the time frame, or else you have a really fast pc, with very few ports installed.

Code:
FreeBSD dru.home 8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #3: Wed Nov 25 00:55:53 CST 2009     Druid@dru.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PLANETPISS  i386

Wonder why yours is #0, and mine is #3.....dunno offhand, just wondering.

The -af is running right now as I type this ;).

I suspect it's going to take a day or two to run (I have quite a few ports installed ;))

Back