FreeBSD 2015 iMac 5K

After conducting a search, I was unable to find any discussions related to the 2015 iMac 5K. Consequently, I am eager to learn if anyone has successfully run FreeBSD on this particular hardware.

Primary Issue:
The `amdgpu` module from `drm-kmod` fails to operate correctly on my system. Attempting to load this module results in the machine rebooting. I discovered a commit in a mailing list that mentions the embedded GPU, but I am uncertain about how to proceed with installing this package. The commit includes modifications as follows:

```
@@ -2069,6 +2100,7 @@ 148c 7340 Radeon R7 340 1682 7240 R7 240 2048 MB 1dcf 3000 Oland PRO [Radeon R7 240/340 / Radeon 520] + 6617 Oland LE [Radeon R7 240] 6631 Oland 6640 Saturn XT [FirePro M6100] 106b 014b Tropo XT [Radeon R9 M380 Mac Edition]
```

Commit URL

Secondary Issues:
  • The Wi-Fi is non-functional, which is not a significant concern for me as I prefer using a wired connection.
  • The `dmesg` command generates multiple error warnings during the CPU probe. Notably, these warnings are not exclusive to FreeBSD, as I have encountered the same issues on Debian. This suggests that the problem may not be specific to FreeBSD.

I have experimented with Debian Bookworm and found it to be a viable alternative. However, my preference leans towards FreeBSD, especially considering the superior performance and ease of setting up ZFS on FreeBSD. My goal is to resolve these issues to explore Sway and Wayfire further.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or guidance on addressing these challenges. Additionally, if there is a more suitable forum for this discussion, please direct me accordingly. Although I am relatively new to this community, I have familiarized myself with the forum's terms and rules.

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    15.6 KB · Views: 34
  • PCI.txt
    6.9 KB · Views: 35
2014:{os steamroller, and puma, Kaveri,Beema,Mullins your radeon rx 2xx based family driver} 2013:{jaguare: is kabini,temash Radeon HD 8000 Family driver } the radeon driver does not support your card nor any of those new cards for the fact of saying we have to look into what new driver implementation there was so set radeon_load="NO" if the amdgpu driver works is the only one which would why it says uses drm-kmod drm-510-kmod and needs firmware if theres one tinyyyy little step over that which says theres other cards being supported thats your go for as of anything else it looks like every single one of all those cards might not be supported which are all the new ones *right:

Thank you grahamperrin. I work long hours so I have little time to toy with the system but I finally got it. Indeed, radeonkms works.
Hikari and all the usual add-ons for Wayland.

Attachments

• clean.png
    clean.png
    781.7 KB · Views: 41
  • lazy.png
    lazy.png
    278.8 KB · Views: 39
Back