Solved FreeBSD 14 is ready?

Release announcement is scheduled for today. There still might be a delay of a few hours until everything on the project website is updated.
Of course the images and ports have to be in place at the time the announcement goes live, so those are usually visible on mirrors a few hours/days before the announcement.

I did the update 6 hours ago:

FreeBSD backup 14.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE #0 releng/14.0-n265380-f9716eee8ab4: Fri Nov 10 05:57:23 UTC 2023 root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC amd64

Just followed the recepie from RC4 and just omitted the RC4 ( freebsd-update upgrade -r 14.0). The update took a while and there was a few minor issues with dynamic libraries and pkg and sudo. Did a update with the pkg-static (pkg-static install -f pkg) and after that everything works...

I install 14.0 just now and finish configure it (install from scrach like allways)
works just fine, the only strange was that portsnap was not included in the base system
so..I install from ports

the boot time is a little faster..yes
and after compile my kernel config plus src.conf is insane

the installer in uefi mode looks pretty good
so far..so good
good work guys!!!!! like allways, fast,simple and clean, I love it

Strange for me, that not read the release and changes notes
It was announced three years ago.

so all I have to do is a
1. backup
then
# freebsd-update -r 14.0-RELEASE upgrade
# nextboot -k GENERIC
# shutdown -r now
cross fingers
# freebsd-update install

And that's it?

Oh, and you need to run freebsd-update install a total of three times. First install only updates the kernel, second install updates the userland (aka "world"), third and final install removes old libraries and such. Run your package/port upgrades before running the third install.

Got this
The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic kernel/generic-dbg src/src world/base world/lib32

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
world/base-dbg world/lib32-dbg

Does this look reasonable (y/n)?

seems to be some debug libraries that are missing, what happens if I chose 'n' ?
I should install those missing ones?

EDITED:
anyway I just selected 'y', debug libs should not be a problem during the upgrade process.

suggestion.... the fetching patches could show % instead of a count one by one, in fact it's 10 by 10.
it's known the total of patches that will fetch and it's known the patches it already fetch so the elements for the % are here.
why?
well, I got away for 10 minutes and when I returned I had to scroll up just to know what was done before.

Oh, and you need to run freebsd-update install a total of three times. First install only updates the kernel, second install updates the userland (aka "world"), third and final install removes old libraries and such. Run your package/port upgrades before running the third install.
BTW, it helps to keep track of the steps... Doing stuff out of order (or not completing the sequence) can result in unpredictable errors and predictable complaining on Forums...which is why following the Handbook is standard recommendation on these Forums. ;)

Back