FreeBSD 14.0 and AMD GPU support

Hello,

Is it known already which AMD GPU chipsets shall be supported by 14.0? I'm buying an AMD GPU in a couple of weeks, switching between Arch and FreeBSD and I'd like to have a straightforward experience like what I have with my current RX570. Thank you for any insight!

Whatever is supported by graphics/drm-515-kmod.
Linux 5.16 drm-kmod is also available from the current drm-kmod "main" (master) branch Github repository. It is to 100 % completed in porting.

A port commit can be expected in the near future.

I see there is also 5.17. Last time I checked it wasn't completed to 100%. Still needs polishing.

Yep, anything can happen. There's still a few months to go before it'll be released.

Yep, anything can happen. There's still a few months to go before it'll be released.

Out of curiosity, in general, do FreeBSD maintainers prefer strict deadlines, or "when it's done it's done" approach regarding RELEASES?

Neither nor. There's a guarantee of at least 5 years support for a "stable" branch (starting with the first X.0-RELEASE from it). And there's a policy to create a new "stable" branch not more often than every 2 years. For an actual release, a schedule is planned and published long in advance. It doesn't contain a strict deadline, but there must be good reasons to add e.g. additional -BETA and -RC releases (which move the schedule by one week). See for example the planned schedule for 14.0-RELEASE:

Back