FreeBSD 13 ISO larger than DVD?

Won't Fix- use USB stick instead???

overstuffed disc1, however, is not as easy a bug to close (if it's meant for CDs).
I agree. It would be easy to shrink the DVD footprint to fit 4.3 gigabytes.
The disc1 size is not likely to shrink to fit a CD. That horse left the stable with version 12.

They need to convert DVD image to memstick then. (DVD version has some packages which could be useful)
mini-memstick
memstick
maxi-memstick???

Ditch the ISO format if it don't fit on optical medium.

Won't Fix- use USB stick instead???

Ditch the ISO format if it don't fit on optical medium.
No need to ditch the ISO format - you can use it with Rufus on USB sticks just fine, and they boot, too. The ISO format is just that flexible and adaptable, and standards-compliant - even Mac and BeOS users figured out how to handle it.

Again with the Rufus? I know there are use cases for an ISO image. I know all about juliet, el torito and ISO9660 .
There is no sense arguing about it. It is a matter of personal opinion. To me ISO is synonymous with optical disk image. Optical disk is dead in my world. Gone like the dodo and floppy.

Again with the Rufus? I know there are use cases for an ISO image. I know all about juliet, el torito and ISO9660 .
There is no sense arguing about it. It is a matter of personal opinion. To me ISO is synonymous with optical disk image. Optical disk is dead in my world. Gone like the dodo and floppy.
If you don't like Rufus, you're always welcome to use /bin/dd. File formats are more flexible than you'd think. BTW, ISO is shorthand for ISO9660. There are a few other standards that introduce new features to that image format, but they all recommend maintaining backwards compatibility. Separating hardware from software is frankly the basics in computer world. That's what allowed the ISO format to persist, while floppies and CD's are going away.

To me ISO is synonymous with optical disk image. Optical disk is dead in my world. Gone like the dodo and floppy.
And even if that were the case (and it isn't), the ISO-9660 file system is still an extremely versatile format that can apply equally well to CDs/DVDs/BDs as well as USB sticks. There is no reason to ditch it just because you think one particular medium is irrelevant, the file system works well on other mediums too (like astyle mentions, use dd or cp to put the image on a USB stick)

I do personally think there should be more thought put into the sizes of the FreeBSD images, however. If disc1 can't be shrunk to a CD-R size, I'm honestly not bothered by requiring a DVD-R -- they are just as cheap and I'm pretty sure every computer in this century is capable of at least the DVD format. dvd1's size is a different matter. dual-layer DVD-R media has always been more expensive and it's mainly just a bit larger than a single-layer DVD. I'm almost certain that more thought can be put into making it fit on single-layer DVDs again.

Back