FreeBSD 13 ISO larger than DVD?

Yes this ISO.
K3b tells me this image doesn't fit the disk in the burner.
Just wondering.

Maybe a problem with the blank DVD, the drive or whatever.
Will look into that tomorrow, too tired now.

The image is around 300MB larger than a single-layer DVD-R can fit...

Good news if you have network access though: you don't really need the DVD. disc1 (which also requires DVD-R media... it's far too large for a CD-R) has the entire base system on it, and from there you can use pkg(8) to download extra stuff.

Most burnable DVD's (DVD-R, DVD+R, and the like) are only 4.4 GB.... Once ISO's started getting that large a few years ago, I just stopped using DVD's and switched to USB sticks. They are easier to deal with, and re-usable. all you need is Rufus (if you're on Windows).

Thats:
1: Wrong, check the link and
2: Great, for you

For everybody else who cares about optical media, I guess it's going to be using -disc1 or DVD-DL.

Last edited:
Thats:
1: Wrong, check the link and
2: Great, for you

For everybody else who cares about optical medial, I guess it's going to be using -disc1 or DVD-DL.
I burned plenty of DVD's back in the day, the OS's (including FreeBSD) always reported the size as 4.4 GB. The wikipedia page reports the sizes in decimal nomenclature. On a computer, the reported size would be smaller. I never liked how consumers got confused by marketers (and their insistence on sticking with the decimal nomenclature, while in reality, reported size is smaller) like that.

This is now the national and international standard, and gaining acceptance in the FOSS community. It's also the law
Reading that PDF about flashdrives, it's not 'the law'. It merely says that manufacturers like SanDisk do have the right to print 4.7GB on the front of the package, and on the back, to fess up that the OS may report less. It's basically legal to print a 'standards-compliant' number, even if it's ultimately a misleading one. The case was 'Dismissed with prejudice', and I had to do some googling to discover that this means the court said, 'go away, and don't bother us with that again'.

Looking at the international standard link that Jose provided - it's just an article that explains the disparity between the decimal notation that marketers like to use. And it points out that the bigger the drive, the bigger the disparity. Reading that article, this is what I found: In IEC 80000-13:2008, all branches of the IT industry have a tool with which to iron out this inconsistency. Googling for the standard itself - it's up for review.

And even Ubuntu acknowledges that there's bugs in their policy: Ubuntu Units Policy.
Kibi, Mebi, Gigi, Yebi.... give me a break! 25-year-old info that doesn't reflect today's reality.

You can check the -h, -H, and --si options under man df, man du to see if FreeBSD is explicit in how many bytes a GB and a GiB are. Seems reasonable to expect the same from comms on their forums.

I've had two hang-ups with install

#1 I like the installer text interface - a graphical one is asking for platform trouble ... ie the following

I installed Linux UEK `to run mathematica` so i though. RH demanded to be "the King" of bootloaders. I decided OK, let it, I'll install FreeBSD 13 after! FreeBSD did NOT make the ?pmbr? and when I booted from BIOS I got redhat bootloader. ugh! I later found i can't use redhat it's borne with nouveau to prevent nvidia driver install (and other bad things, so am deleting redhat). I fear ubuntu will give me the same lines of hastling my card (I already checked: they do obstruct).

1) The boot loader didn't inform me if I am BIOS or UEFI booted. I had 0 idea that would "be a problem with other os _later_". Didn't warn me it would not be able to boot without pmbr before installing and didn't suggest making one. Good news is that it didn't refuse to go forward like RHEL did!

2) It is _difficult_ to boot from USB (no clear way to boot HD install from USB). Booting from USB has advantages of "staying out of the who is king of the disk image boot list game". And is necessary if for any reason the amazing pmbr or uefi magic is ... no joy. For 100 reasons I so like booting from inserted USB. There is no best bootloader imho because none of them play nice with "all systems all versions", so it's always a hack.

The ISO is larger than a normal DVD.
Is it intended that double layer DVDs are to be used now?

Just wondering...
With a blue sharpe, if you mark a few of the first sectors (if you can find documentation which those are), the Sony PS4 sometimes recoginzes it as Blue Ray and whala, it all fits. There's you howto!

It's also not how optical discs work. CD, DVD, and Blu-ray are all different physical formats and you can't convert them into another.

Sony invented 'em all - CD, DVD and blu-ray. The real difference is the size of the track containing the data.

Optical has a lot of advantages over flash drives. Namely, longevity. It's funny because disc-1 has been too big for a CD for years.

I feel like this should be better thought out. Disc-1 should fit on a CD, DVD should fit on a DVD...

I like to have a MDisc copy of the FreeBSD releases but won't be able to do that with 13.0.

If the easy answer is "just use a dual layer disc" then that's probably how they'll close it. Correcting the grossly overstuffed disc1, however, is not as easy a bug to close (if it's meant for CDs).

Back