Solved FreeBSD 13.1-RC1 Graphics Not Working

I have a NUC with an 11th generation Tiger Lake processor and it has been working fine with 13.1-BETA3 using graphics/drm-devel-kmod. The Iris-Xe GPU doesn't work with drm-kmod as of yet I believe. I just upgraded to 13.1-RC1 and it's as if it doesn't even try to display any graphics. It doesn't change to the high resolution/small text console mode and of course X fails to run.

As an experiment I install graphics/drm-kmod, which used to half work then give a blank screen, but it doesn't even try to do that, which is odd.

On the plus side, the Intel AX201 WiFi chipset is now recognised, but I'd really rather have a working graphics system on what is my primary workstation.

Thank goodness for boot environments, otherwise I wouldn't be posting this now.

I made sure I have the latest ports as well as source and rebuilt drm-devel-kmod, with no effect. I also tried reinstalling drm-kmod, as I mentioned, which usually has some effect (if somewhat disastrous), but even though the drm and i915kms modules were loaded, it was as if they were not there.

I may have a similar problem on Thinkpad x250, It was working great with 13.1b3 and X was working and KDE but I did a clean install with Rc1 then X not working even though I did use desktop-installer so it is not a config issue and when I resume from sleep the screen is OFF even though my laptop is a wake and I can see it get DHCP IP lease and I can SSH and execute commands
I think There is some issue with DRM in this release that affects Intel iGPU

resume from sleep the screen is OFF even though my laptop is a wake and I can see it get DHCP IP lease and I can SSH and execute commands
Welcome to Intel DRM. I too have this problem if AFK for 1hr. on Sandybridge laptop with 12.3 and base DRM.

The way I handle is to use virtual terminals. When it goes to sleep and won't recover try <CTL><ALT><F5>
This will bring you to another terminal. Log in and run pkill Xorg and magically you will be returned to VT1.
Run your startx sequence again to "resume"..

Obviously you can use other Virtual Terminals other than <F5>. Just avoid <F1> and <F9>.

I fixed my issue with installing the Intel drm kmod from ports ..

# portmaster /use/ports/graphics/drm-kmod

Back