FreeBSD 13.0 and CPU power management

jbo@

Developer
Freshly installed FreeBSD 13.0 on a Lenovo Thinkpad P2000 it would seem like the CPU frequency is begin scaled down automatically if the load is low.
Based on my notes from a couple of years ago, I was using sysutils/powedxx back then with some basic configuration in /etc/rc.conf to manage CPU power levels / frequency.

I'd like to understand what I'm experiencing on my fresh FreeBSD 13.0 installation. Is this a feature that is now part of FreeBSD out-of-the-box? Or is this a hardware/firmware based CPU frequency scaling? Or is powerd running by default?
Is using sysutils/powerdxx on "modern FreeBSD 13.0 machines" still a thing?

How would one go about figuring out whether hwpstate is supported on the CPU in question and whether it's actually enabled/running/working?

Freshly installed FreeBSD 13.0 on a Lenovo Thinkpad P2000 it would seem like the CPU frequency is begin scaled down automatically if the load is low.
Based on my notes from a couple of years ago, I was using sysutils/powedxx back then with some basic configuration in /etc/rc.conf to manage CPU power levels / frequency.

I'd like to understand what I'm experiencing on my fresh FreeBSD 13.0 installation. Is this a feature that is now part of FreeBSD out-of-the-box? Or is this a hardware/firmware based CPU frequency scaling? Or is powerd running by default?
Is using sysutils/powerdxx on "modern FreeBSD 13.0 machines" still a thing?
Generally its like that that powerd(8) keeps clocks higher while powerdxx(8) keeps clocks lower.

One may say that its better to use powred(8) when AC is available and powerdxx(8) when working on battery.

You may also find some Power Management related tips here:

Back