FreeBSD 12 works stable on ASUS TUF Gaming FX 705 GM

I installed FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE successfully on my 2-years-old ASUS laptop with 32GB RAM on an 500GB USB-SSD. With help from this forum I got the Intel AC 9560 Wifi working.
Next step is getting the Optimus Intel/Nvidia graphics adapter running. At the moment the Intel graphic works good and I don't want to play games with FreeBSD. So for now it is fine.
The system runs stable with Xorg and Gnome3. It is my main system for daily use. I used the Handbook for installation which is very well written. I got everything installed without problems.
The only thing I miss is Bluetooth support for my Logitech mouse (BT 5). Modern desktop machines are often used with a Bluetooth mouse or speakers. I thought that FreeBSD is such a mature system that Bluetooth support is of course implemented.
I love FreeBSD and I'm happy to let Linux behind.

FreeBSD suffers from a lack of manpower, and it seems, as an interested outside observer, that most improvements are on the server side. It's one reason that I feel some usable desktop BSDs are a good thing. I really feel that Linux started becoming easier to use once Ubuntu got popular. Back then, it really wasn't that easy to get Linux working as a desktop, and Ubuntu was one of the first, and most aggressively marketed as something that just worked.
Using FreeBSD as your desktop or laptop OS requires a bit more work, but can be done. Little by little, improvements get made. For example, for a long time it was almost impossible to watch Netflix on FreeBSD, despite Netflix depending upon FreeBSD for content delivery (though most of its storage is on Linux). However, user patovm04, on these forums, has given a method to make watching Netflix, Amazon prime, and so on, easy.
(The link is for 13.x but there's a 12.x up here too.) https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/linuxulator-how-to-install-brave-linux-app-on-freebsd-13-0.78879.

Posts like yours also help, as we get a sense of which laptops work well with FreeBSD.

Things like this gradually make FreeBSD easier to use as desktop system. There's also a few desktop variants of FreeBSD.

Back