FreeBSD 12 (Release) and Ryzen revisited

Hello to all.

A few days ago I bought a new laptop (from ASUS VivoBook 15 series). I have tried to install FreeBSD 12 - Release but I have faced with one plus one problems:

1) at boot time everything freezes (something relevant to acpi). So I found that the solution is to set
Code:
hw.pci.mcfg=0
at boot prompt and later to set it at /boot/loader.conf

2) I have not managed to make the Radeon Vega gtx, integrated, gpu to work.
The trick
Code:
kld_list="amdgpu"
after having install both drm-kmod and drm-fbsd12-kmod did not help.

So I would like to ask: is the any way to go with this problem?

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Updated info.

I have tried, without success, to install FreeBSD 12-Release plus Mate desktop.

The steps I have followed are:

Code:
# pkg update
# pkg install xorg slim mate drm-kmod drm-fdsb12.0-kmod xf86-video-amdgpu

then
at /etc/rc.conf
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
slim_enable="YES"

at /etc/fstab
Code:
proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

at .xinitrc
Code:
exec mate-session

afterwards
Code:
cp ~/.xinitrc /home/USER/

and finally
at /boot/loader.conf
Code:
hw.pci.mcfg=0
hw.syscons.disable=1
kern.vty="vt"
kld_load="'/boot/modules/amdgpu.ko"

but my machine freezes after boot at efifb stage...

Could any one help me?

Somehow I doubt you managed to build the FreeBSD kernel and LLVM from source in a half an hour on a laptop. What exactly did you try?
Of course I did not do that -what I meant is that I have downloaded the STABLE version and I tried the steps I describe in my previous post. I tend to believe that the problem is my graphics card. I see a message saying: "/dev/dri/card0 not found"

What does this line look like after moving it to /etc/rc.conf and s/kld_load/kld_list? There is also an extra ' in that line.

The ' was a typo. If I do what you say I shows that the driver is loader.

To my understanding, the bottom-line
a) is there Vega GPU support in FreeBSD?
b) if yes, how should this be invoked?

You still didn't specify your CPU model or explained how "doesn't work" looks like this time. Xorg doesn't start? Crash and reboot? Anything else?

AMD Ryzen 7 (3000 series). Does NOT work = I do not get to GUI by any means -always to the prompt for login, nothing else.

Would you please specify which “ASUS VivoBook 15” you have, and which Ryzen processor exactly? There are a lot of different models with different GPUs.

For example, if it's the ASUS VivoBook 15 X512DA with a Ryzen 7 3700U, then that one has a Radeon RX Vega 10 GPU. I think that one is not supported yet, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone else can tell for sure.

By the way, if Xorg refuses to start, the first thing to do is look at the Xorg.log file (it's in the /var/log directory).

Update: 13-Current (15/08/2019) and (08/08/2019) both seem to be "broken": installation does not proceed and error messages show up. The procedure stacks at the point where basic packages are loaded (like kernel.txz etc).

Back