MATE FreeBSD 12 in Virtualbox - Upon login, MATE resets resolution

I have a FreeBSD 12 instance running in VirtualBox. My goal is to take advantage of the larger screen my host computer provides.
I've created several files:
  • $HOME/.xinitrc
  • $HOME/.xsession
  • $HOME/.xprofile
.xinitrc uses xrandr to set my resolution to 1680x1050.
.xsession sources .xinitrc
And .xprofile is simply a symlink to .xsession
(I'm unsure if I need $HOME/.xprofile -- I was just throwing stuff on the wall hoping I could make it work.)

When I login, my screen size is briefly set to 1680x1050 but is reset to 800x600 once MATE fully starts.
I am able to go into Preferences --> Hardware --> Displays and change resolution; however, once I logout and login, it reverts to 800x600.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks!

When I run FreeBSD+Mate in VirtualBox, all I get as max resolution in the Display Prefs is 1024x768. Any attempt to change it resets me to 1024x786 max. Maybe related issues? If so, maybe it's just VBox/its video driver, since I also have a FreeBSD installation on physical hardware where I run Mate in FullHD with the nVidia driver. Did you get the VBox Guest Additions to work?

When I run FreeBSD+Mate in VirtualBox, all I get as max resolution in the Display Prefs is 1024x768. Any attempt to change it resets me to 1024x786 max. Maybe related issues? If so, maybe it's just VBox/its video driver, since I also have a FreeBSD installation on physical hardware where I run Mate in FullHD with the nVidia driver. Did you get the VBox Guest Additions to work?

Yeah; I have the guest additions installed.

The funny thing is, when I installed OpenBox, I didn't have this issue. I'll be sure to dig through xorg.conf.d as Emrion suggested.

Back