Frame.work notebook, 13th gen Intel

Thorny

Developer
Aloha,

I got an Frame.work notebook gen 13 with Intel and was not able to set it up properly :D

The first issue was the WLAN. After a while of playing around, I noticed, that the Live CD / Installation process connects to my Wifi. But after rebooting into the installed version, it could not connect to any SSID. I pinned it down to BIOS setup and now it works. With 13.2 there are sometimes crashes because of the Wifi, but I did not see any with 14 yet. [On a side note: compiling FreeBSD just took slightly over an hour at it - amazing!]

My current main issue is that I do not get graphics at all. But I am not too experienced in this area, so there is a good chance that I am doing it wrong. :D At least the Graphic device is detected via pciconf -lvv. But no card is created in /dev/dri/card0. The while /dev/dri/ is missing.

If somebody has any suggestion I am happy to test it. I would love to see this working :)

Best,
Torsten

I have the same laptop.

Right now, only scfb is working, and that scfb.conf file goes in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/scfb.conf

scfb.conf

Code:
Section "Device"
     Identifier "card 0"
     Driver    "scfb"
EndSection

I suspect the news is not going to be good for 13th gen:

graphics/drm-kmod does not work for the 12th - there's hope it will support it on 14, but anything 13.2 or lower will definitely not work. The linuxkpi layer is simply not compatible enough to work with the more recent linux graphics stack.
I recommend switching to another Wifi chip - it's quite easy.

Here's some more details in another thread:

Here's some on the 11th gen and some wireless chips that would work on the 12th gen as well:

Thank you for
Not sure if graphics/drm-510-kmod (for 13.x) or graphics/drm-515-kmod (for 14.x) have support the Intel graphics of the 13th generation. Looks like you might need at least 6.1 for it.
Thank you for the suggestion (and great to see you are still around after so many years! :)). I tested it and it does not worked. -.- But it is a good pointer. I will check with the drm team if i can help them in anyway to get to 6.1 :)

Could you share more details on this for the next guy coming by here?
I really would like to but i am currently not sure about the details. So my plan was to get it run in any way and then document the pitfalls.
I suspect the news is not going to be good for 13th gen:
Maybe. I saw this one day after my order, but:
* 16th gen like i wanted would have cost 30 % on top
* It ships in Q4. And my current notebooks are broken / unusable right now :D
graphics/drm-kmod does not work for the 12th - there's hope it will support it on 14, but anything 13.2 or lower will definitely not work. The linuxkpi layer is simply not compatible enough to work with the more recent linux graphics stack.
I recommend switching to another Wifi chip - it's quite easy.

Here's some more details in another thread:

Here's some on the 11th gen and some wireless chips that would work on the 12th gen as well:

I already compiled 14 and it does not work. I have no idea how linuxkpi does work so i am not sure if i can help there in any way. But i would really like to.

The wifi is fine so far with 14 and was okay with 13.2. But i have another wifi USB-stick lying around as fallback. So i am fine with this.

I also have very low requirements. I am using an old tiling manager so most of the known quirks do not affect me at all. :D

There is also an interesting entry in the bugtracker, which links to all the known issues: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/frame-work-notebook-13th-gen-intel.89770/unread?new=1

I will keep you posted if i get some progress :)

If you want to get graphics going, I recommend getting in touch with dumbbell@ - he's also got a 12th gen frame.work and might be able to give you some pointers. Particularly, if you're interested in helping.

If you want to get graphics going, I recommend getting in touch with dumbbell@ - he's also got a 12th gen frame.work and might be able to give you some pointers. Particularly, if you're interested in helping.
Thanks, i mailed him :)

Watch your spam/junk folder Thorny. When I got in touch with him the first time, his email went straight into my spam folder (Office 365...) and we both remained in "limbo" for several days until he got in touch via the unusual channel of Github messages...

Maybe. I saw this one day after my order, but:
* 16th gen like i wanted would have cost 30 % on top
* It ships in Q4. And my current notebooks are broken / unusable right now :D
I wasn't suggesting you get a Framework 16 (the Radeon card it comes with needs an even newer version of Linux DRM anyway.) The particular post I linked to was cmoerz saying how he had to downgrade to an 11th gen because even the 12th gen was not well-supported yet. Therefore it's unlikely a 13th gen would work well.

Back