Frame.work laptop

Jose there's a link from the FreshPorts page to a bug for the description, the question remains:
  • has anyone tried drm-devel-kmod with 13.0-STABLE on this hardware?

1639246397209.png

I am thinking about ordering a frame.work laptop as soon as a proper ethernet module is available.

I've never messed with STABLE/CURRENT branches, so forgive my ignorance: Are additions/patches to the drm-devel-kmod backported to the RELEASE branch(es)? I.e.: will the Iris Xe driver be available in drm-kmod for e.g. 13.1-RELEASE?

One thing that puzzles me the most is, if the modules can be swapped in and out at runtime without any issues, especially for the DP/HDMI modules (I don't think USB should be a problem...). I've been using XFCE with display profiles for quite some time now which works very well, but this addresses only screens (dis)appearing, not whole ports. How does X handle whole ports being added/removed?

Are you guys reporting these issues to the Freme.work folks?

From what I heard in some podcasts they will be happy to help anyone to have his/her laptop fully working with any OS.

… Are additions/patches to the drm-devel-kmod backported to the RELEASE branch(es)?

<https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/commit/?id=4519b9e81473444a7a2ac2bffe2158bd2da05b36> (2022-01-10) included drm-fbsd13-kmod

I.e.: will the Iris Xe driver be available in drm-kmod for e.g. 13.1-RELEASE? …

… that, I can't guess.

Not Framework-specific, but maybe of interest, from <https://forums.freebsd.org/profile-posts/comments/6676/>:

I forgot to mention that I got one of their ethernet "expansion cards", and it works flawlessly on 13.2-RELEASE.
Nice, it looks like a good chip (RTL8156) rather than whatever random bargain bucket item that laptop vendors typical choose.

That said, I would love to see the Framework guys provide many different network expansion cards using a whole range of different chips. That way there is always going to be one that will work on any OS you throw at it. I also do hope that they keep backwards compatibility with these expansion cards with their newer laptop models. That would really help reduce wastage. I would probably be sold on that alone!

They're using USB-C / Thunderbolt so they'll work on any devices that have those interfaces. No Framework laptop required:

Ah good to know.

That said, the cynic in me is still worried they randomly change the physical slot shape. Just to be Apple sized crooks ;)

That said, the cynic in me is still worried they randomly change the physical slot shape. Just to be Apple sized crooks ;)

Considering the lengths they went to in order to be backwards compatible with their last presentation about GPUs adding numpads, batteries, etc, that would seem to be the antithesis of what they're "selling" to people.

So far, 11th and 12th gen all had the identical extension slot layout and 13th seems to be slated to stay the same as well.

From what I can tell from the pictures, it appears that even the planned 16-inch one is also going to have the same interface structure, which is very neat IMHO.

Just visited

searched

Not much to read there but I like what they are doing. Shouldn't we show more FreeBSD presence by asking more FreeBSD questions there?
They have Linux tags but no BSD or FreeBSD tags for filtering. That we should ask for becoming visible.

Not much to read there but I like what they are doing. Shouldn't we show more FreeBSD presence by asking more FreeBSD questions there?
I despise the forum software they use, and besides, posting Freebsd questions in any forum besides this one results in crickets.

How is suspend/resume?
Does the webcam work?
Kinda. It comes up and passes webcam tests. I tried to use it in a long Google meet session, and it made the fan go nuts until it finally quit about 20 minutes in.

QUESTION: Has anyone got this running with the AMD release version (I have the 7840U version)? I am trying to run this on my recently received laptop but it is hanging on both FreeBSD and GhostBSD so I wanted to see what has been done so far. I tried FreeBSD 14 RC4 to see if the latest planned release worked. But I am still getting a hang at this point.

Edit: I was able to boot using the following fix from an old forum post. Only disabled the "uart.0" one and it booted to the live version for FreeBSD 14.0 RC4. Going to test similar with GhostBSD for those interested. But looks like this worked for next release.
https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/debugging-the-boot-process.60224/post-346947

set hint.uart.0.disabled=1 boot -v

Edit 2: Also can confirm that the latest release of GhostBSD also booted with the same change. There is a different issue with the X Server right now but at least we are booted. Something about "Cannot run in framebuffer mode." but that is probably outside of this forum.

Attachments

• 20231110_081250.small.png
    20231110_081250.small.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • 20231110_082410.png
    20231110_082410.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
i will be getting laptop with exactly same cpu/video ( AMD 7840 ) card by early December. this is kind gift from someone so that it will be much newer hardware i would not be aiming for in regards of FreeBSD experience. But i brief look at Radeon 780M specs. This is Navi 3 card on Phoenix chip. Support for it in linux kernel ( of 5.x branch ) added in 5.20. drm-kmod is based on 5.15.x, so it is maybe not a lucky thing. But it is great it boots. You can look by playing around with firmware for it. install amdgpu driver from drm-kmod. 780M requires following 2: gc_11_0_1_mes.bin and gc_11_0_1_mes_2.bin from https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/amdgpu. Place them where drm-kmod-firmware installs the files ( notice, that drm-kmod-firmware does not yet have mentioned blobs. ) Reboot and look if you have, amdgpu KMS working first. Then, maybe X will work too.

Back