Solved Forum software - error in presentation of forum posting

Something wrong with the forums software or does it affect only me?

I'm getting a two row view of a posting ( https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...36-wifi-on-11-3-missing-firmware-error.76470/ ) on Firefox 79.0 macOS.

Screenshot_2020-08-07 Installing Broadcom BCM43236 Wifi on 11 3 missing firmware error.jpg

So far only the mentioned posting is affected.

I've seen it happen before. I usually catch it quite quickly but this one seems to have slipped through. It has something to do with the 'unfurl' feature of the URL tags. That in combination with certain other tags causes the layout to go crazy. A plain URL tag doesn't seem to exhibit this behavior, only if that 'unfurl' is also active.

Reactions: a6h
It seems to be happening again - but this time on Firefox 81.0.1, but not on Chromium 84.0.4147.135.
Would prefer to use Firefox.

It's not related to the browser. It's the forum software that mashes up the HTML/CSS in certain cases. Some browsers are more forgiving than others when it comes to HTML/CSS errors.

In what threat does it happen? It's just a matter of fixing that post to remove the erroneous formatting tags.

Thanks for the rapid reply. This is outside my (limited) experience.
It happens on any and every window I open on https://forums.freebsd.org using Firefox 81.0.21 (just downloaded) and whatever the previous version was.
Doesn't happen at all on Chromium 84.0.4147.135.
The page image is jammed over to about 20% of the page width. I could send a screen image - but I'm sure you've seen this before.
Have done all the normal things like refresh the page and so on - but no joy.
As said originally - would prefer to use Firefox.

Later note:
I have installed the same version of Firefox on the same version of FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE -p10 GENERIC amd64 on a different disk on the same machine (don't ask) and it works perfectly.
I've tried to clear cache and open in a private window etc on the original Firefox with the problem - but nothing seems to work.
Would like to know how to fix if only out of curiosity.
Thanks,

Create a new Firefox profile (for testing). Test it. If it works correctly, it's profile problem. Delete the test profile, backup the important data from the old one, e.g. bookmarks, and finally create new profile. There're guides in the Internet on the topic of working with Firefox profile. The location (directory) of profile on the OS is system-depended.

You are right - a new profile allowed the page to present properly.
However, I have a feeling that one of my usual Firefox add-ons is causing the issue. I will do some testing to see if I can isolate it.
Either way, I'll come back to this thread and post my finding.
Many thanks for your prompt reply.

If you find the malfunction plugin, post its name here. I would like to know which plugin causes the issue. Thanks.

Can anybody, please, tell me why the thread answer window doesn't give any editing options (tags, font options etc.), nor "advanced" button is present?

To be honest, I love it, no mumbo jumbo, No stupid screenshots.
Keep it this way please!
Although, If I can have only these six(6) tags, I would be happier:
CMD, FILE, CODE, MAN, PORT, and PR.
BTW, CMD & CODE can be reduced to one tag=> MONO. IMHO!
PS. Enforcing 72 CPL would be fantastic.

73 30 Sasha

To be honest, I love it, no mumbo jumbo, No stupid screenshots.
Keep it this way please!
Agreed for the most part.
Although, If I can have only these six(6) tags, I would be happier:
CMD, FILE, CODE, MAN, PORT, and PR.
I would also like to keep B and I (i) for bold and italic text. If they weren't necessary, something as simple as Markdown wouldn't have _emphasis_ and **strong emphasis**; everybody could just use `inline code`.
BTW, CMD & CODE can be reduced to one tag=> MONO. IMHO!
CODE and CMD serve different purposes. CMD is for an inline command (renders in the same line as text), and CODE is a chunk of code, usually consisting of multiple lines. It's the same difference between <q> and <blockquote> in X/HTML: <q> is an inline quote, and <blockquote> is for a chunk of quoted text. However, ICODE and CMD can probably be merged.
PS. Enforcing 72 CPL would be fantastic.

73 30 Sasha
I don't think that would be fantastic. Most people access the forums using a GUI browser, where text is rendered in a non-monospace font. This makes the idea of "columns per line" considerably less attractive.

My only gripe with the new style is the fact that I can't "unrender" BB code. However, I do like the new style other than that.

Reactions: a6h
Back