Solved forcing ntpd to start after jails

I want ntpd to start after jails have started since my jails are providing Internet access and routing functionality and ntpd has to run on the host, not inside the jail since it won't have permissions ...

So, I attempted to change the ordering by modifying /etc/rc.d/ntpd:
# REQUIRE: DAEMON ntpdate FILESYSTEMS devfs jail

However, service -e still shows ntpd starting after jail, rcorder is unable to find jail when it is clearly in /etc/rc.d/jail and has PROVIDE jail set.

Is this possible, what else should I be looking at?

I had modified both ntpd and ntpdate to require jail even though I recently disabled ntpdate since I think ntpd should be used for both the initial sync and on-going sync.

The solution was to revert my changes to ntpdate requiring jail, once I did that, ntpd now starts after jail as desired.

Again, I only do this because the jail provides Internet / routing functionality and without the Internet, ntpd complains about being unable to resolve the servers while the jail is starting.

Does not it create a dependency loop? i.e. run rcorder /etc/rc.d/*.

I would simply not bother about ntpd (correctly) saying that it can't resolve the servers.

No, it does not appear to create a recursive dependency, yes I also used rcorder to verify the order.

I'm doing it to minimize the amount of noise in the logs. If there is something in the logs, then I need to 'fix' it or as I like to say, action it. I try to do the same thing in production systems because it makes debugging problems easier and quicker IMO.

Back