For what reason FreeBSD in some directions so slowly develops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering apathy is a complete lack of concern, motivation and passion, and I'm certainly not seeing that on this thread, I'm not sure your title choice is appropriate :)

I've seen a lot of:
"You can't do this because such-and-such" throughout this thread. With enough of those statements, the general malaise is "What's the use in trying when I/you/we are the only ones?"
Do you see much encouragement to do anything with that running through the thread?
It's easy to find an excuse as to why something doesn't happen.

I haven't been able to finish my projects due to a lot of things; however, I am not giving up nor depending upon others desire or demand for something.

Did something mess up? Okay. Start over where the problem occurred.

Would it have been better if I stated, " Jeez, adamk, are you making it your job to shoot down everything? Wow, that's a lot of 'You can not' and 'They will not' in your answers. I'm wondering if you even believe anything can be accomplished." ?

Of course, with that much hot air, one will see that my short post was concise and to the point.

The FreeBSD one-liner to get from the installation image to KDE/GNOME/LXDE/whatever is considerably shorter then the Gentoo one-liner though.

When you say you'll buy any hardware and expect it to work with OSS drivers you're more or less saying you couldn't care less about how it works, which is in frontal conflict with the OSS ideology.
Also, linux has a much higher amount of non-open source code then all BSDs combined. Check out your /usr/src/linux/firmware for a list of binary blobs with no source code to be found.

I've said this before. If I were younger, I'd start a hardware company that creates boards for FreeBSD and Linux exclusively. I'd bet there'd be a ton of money in that.
So if I wanted to use ReactOS, Windows, OpenIndiana, GNU (if I happen to still be alive by the time it's released) or whatever else I felt like I'd have to look for a new board then? I don't see where that would any better then what we have today.

nv is an OSS driver provided by nvidia btw, and while it lacks 3D-acceleration and anything else that is modern it works pretty well for 2D. Intel IGP work nicely these days, too - I'm writing from KDE using it's OpenGL backend ;D

sossego said:
I've seen a lot of:
"You can't do this because such-and-such" throughout this thread. With enough of those statements, the general malaise is "What's the use in trying when I/you/we are the only ones?"
Do you see much encouragement to do anything with that running through the thread?
It's easy to find an excuse as to why something doesn't happen.

I haven't been able to finish my projects due to a lot of things; however, I am not giving up nor depending upon others desire or demand for something.

Did something mess up? Okay. Start over where the problem occurred.

Would it have been better if I stated, " Jeez, adamk, are you making it your job to shoot down everything? Wow, that's a lot of 'You can not' and 'They will not' in your answers. I'm wondering if you even believe anything can be accomplished." ?

Of course, with that much hot air, one will see that my short post was concise and to the point.

I have been on these forums, various FreeBSD mailing lists, and ##freebsd on freenode for years now. I have never (intentionally) suggested someone not use FreeBSD. If someone asks a question about graphics, I answer truthfully about what does and does not work. Sorry if the truth bothers you so much.

I have opened and contributed to various bug reports, had numerous discussions with the FreeBSD radeon DRM maintainers (rnoland and anholt, back when they were involved), and asked and answered numerous questions on the appropriate mailing lists. Nowhere have I demonstrated a lack of passion, motivation or caring. So please make sure you inform yourself before you starting labeling people as apathetic.

Adam

xibo said:
nv is an OSS driver provided by nvidia btw, and while it lacks 3D-acceleration and anything else that is modern it works pretty well for 2D. Intel IGP work nicely these days, too - I'm writing from KDE using it's OpenGL backend ;D

A) It's obfuscated.
B) It provides barely any 2D acceleration for modern nvidia GPUs.
C) It's no longer maintained or developed by nvidia.

And, again, I'm not replacing my motherboard just so I can get an Intel GPU to use with FreeBSD.

Adam

xibo said:
So if I wanted to use ReactOS, Windows, OpenIndiana, GNU (if I happen to still be alive by the time it's released) or whatever else I felt like I'd have to look for a new board then? I don't see where that would any better then what we have today.
As a FreeBSD user you would be far better off. That would be my target market. I couldn't care less about those other users.

adamk said:
I have been on these forums, various FreeBSD mailing lists, and ##freebsd on freenode for years now. I have never (intentionally) suggested someone not use FreeBSD. If someone asks a question about graphics, I answer truthfully about what does and does not work. Sorry if the truth bothers you so much.

I have opened and contributed to various bug reports, had numerous discussions with the FreeBSD radeon DRM maintainers (rnoland and anholt, back when they were involved), and asked and answered numerous questions on the appropriate mailing lists. Nowhere have I demonstrated a lack of passion, motivation or caring. So please make sure you inform yourself before you starting labeling people as apathetic.

Adam

And I'll answer.
If you know something will work better than what is being used, then you need to convince others of the same. I've talked with NASA and IBM; and, I have discovered what both want to hear: a good reason along with a system to use. Since I know this, I work towards it. If I wait for others to ask or try, I'd give answers such as
"It isn't possible."
"It's not supported"
Et cetera. Et al.

Now, did I say you were apathetic or the thread?

To be fair, it isn't just FreeBSD that has to put up with crappy video driver support.

Even on OS X, drivers are some way behind their Windows versions in terms of OpenGL support.

sossego said:
And I'll answer.
If you know something will work better than what is being used, then you need to convince others of the same. I've talked with NASA and IBM; and, I have discovered what both want to hear: a good reason along with a system to use. Since I know this, I work towards it. If I wait for others to ask or try, I'd give answers such as
"It isn't possible."
"It's not supported"
Et cetera. Et al.

Now, did I say you were apathetic or the thread?

You definitely called the thread that:

I believe we shall call this the thread of apathy.

When I disagreed that it was an appropriate name, you gave examples of what you were seeing, and specified my name in the response:

So, yes, I believe you called both the thread, and myself, apathetic.

Adam

Let's all just agree that there have been misunderstandings, and that this thread has outlived its usefulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back