Solved for network admin's ,which do you prefer? FreeBSD or OpenBSD?

In terms of firewall only (PF) and general system changes beetween the 2 systems

At present I'have 3 FreeBSD boxes for firewall/routing/proxy/dns
and I'am very happy with the results
but I'want to try the Divert rules of PF for example,for make a some king of layer 7 filter

but in general...what you think guys? in your personal experience?

I love Openbsd. I use it for my personal firewall, and have used it professionally to create point-to-point IPSEC VPNs. I really, really wish that portable Openiked had survived. It's so much easier to use than any of the others I've tried. Everything on Openbsd is really as simple as it can be. Useless featuritis and bloat have been eradicated.

My biggest concern with Openbsd is that it does not handle multiple cores as well as Freebsd. See for example: https://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/perf.html

I worry about this given that the megahertz wars are long over, and that CPUs are improving now by adding more cores, and not necessarily faster ones. This has led me to trade simplicity for performance by choosing Freebsd in certain cases.

Thank you for comment your experience,definitively I'have to give it a try,at least in my home
the multicores thing..mmm that is challenge because all my firewalls/proxy/etc have 4GB of Ram :rolleyes: ,and never failed (on FreeBSD)

On the other hand, we allow lots of "comparison" of FreeBSD with Linux and Windows, which inevitably turn into bash-fests (no, I don't mean the shell).

My opinion: I haven't run OpenBSD in about 8 years in production, but I used to like it a lot. If you think FreeBSD is neat, well organized, and streamlined (the haters would call it "free of bloat"), OpenBSD is all that to a bigger extent. On the other hand, OpenBSD lacks features. For example ZFS, and (at the time) support for using it as a WiFi AP with the common chipsets. The operational differences between the two are minor.

Back