For all the people using FreeBSD as their primary desktop.

I guess the current consensus seems to be just use Linux for desktop unless you can you can forego non-BSD apps.
I don't know where you see such a consensus.

Applications that do not natively run on FreeBSD can be used through:
* the Linux compatibility layer a.k.a. Linuxulator
* WINE
* virtual machines running the required OS

Usecases where you need to run a program that doesn't work with any of those options are quite specific, and in those cases you'll typically need Windows, not Linux.

I love FreeBSD, really I do. I love its rock solid stability (my Linux installations seem to always have weird quirks from time to time), performance, directory consistency, relatively simple setup, and of course The FreeBSD Handbook.

I've dabbled with it off and on for years, but have never really made the complete plunge for my daily driver machine mostly for two reasons, which are either drivers or lack of a certain software that I need (Signal, Slack, Bitwarden, Discord, Chrome (for Netflix, and Spotify), etc.). The Linux compatibility layer helps, but it's often a hit or miss, especially on packages that require systemd and that still
good has how you do a trick on kiss linux, give to enjoy, some libraries, it is something extremely annoying, more if you are very patient.

Reactions: mer
I don't know where you see such a consensus.

Applications that do not natively run on FreeBSD can be used through:
* the Linux compatibility layer a.k.a. Linuxulator
* WINE
* virtual machines running the required OS

Usecases where you need to run a program that doesn't work with any of those options are quite specific, and in those cases you'll typically need Windows, not Linux.
This isn't true cause Slack (which I need for work) requires snapd to install and obviously runs on Linux, but not the compatibility layer.

I didn't consider WINE option, but that's certainly a good route. I guess I tried the compat layer first cause I wanted a more native solution.

Non server daily driver use has been and always will be a personal choice. I agree with everyone saying "what consensus are you talking about?" Simply because there is no "graphical user interface installed by default?"
Applications. Everyone has applications they use on a daily basis, applications they use once in a while.
You need to evaluate a complete ecosystem rather than one piece of it.
If you have a must have application that doesn't run on FreeBSD because there is no port, no compatible application, no way of running it in a VM, then FreeBSD is not an option, but that is not the "fault" of FreeBSD.

So you always have to start with your applications and then work backwards to the platform.
But heck, that's all just my opinion, feel free to ignore it, this is the internet after all.

Non server daily driver use has been and always will be a personal choice. I agree with everyone saying "what consensus are you talking about?" Simply because there is no "graphical user interface installed by default?"
Applications. Everyone has applications they use on a daily basis, applications they use once in a while.
You need to evaluate a complete ecosystem rather than one piece of it.
If you have a must have application that doesn't run on FreeBSD because there is no port, no compatible application, no way of running it in a VM, then FreeBSD is not an option, but that is not the "fault" of FreeBSD.

So you always have to start with your applications and then work backwards to the platform.
But heck, that's all just my opinion, feel free to ignore it, this is the internet after all.
I'm totally fine if the solution doesn't yet exist or if it just means I should run Linux in a VM etc. The main reason I came here as stated in my original post was to see if someone out there maybe has figured out some creative workaround that I haven't thought of.

I do find it problematic that some posts tend to be a bit passive aggressive. It's a stark contrast from say Deb Goodkin's tone (Executive Director of FreeBSD Foundation) who's a lot more friendly and open to solicit more people to contribute to it and hopefully make it popular enough that FreeBSD can eventually deprecate the Linux compatibility layer. She even has a presentation slide (from The Linux Foundation Open Source Summit) acknowledging the desktop's lack of support in some areas (WiFi, graphics, OBS, webconferencing apps, etc.). I can't help but notice that some of the responses here run counter to her evangelizing goal.

My experience has been because "this is the internet", a lot of clues normally present in face to face interactions are not available, so tone of a response is based on the perceived tone of the request. I'm not saying it right or wrong or good or bad, just my opinion on what seems to happen.
Keep in mind that probably 99% of the people posting here have nothing do to with anything official; they are simply users.

Slack (which I need for work) requires snapd to install
Doesn't seem so:

download-rpm.png

deb-rpm.png

I've never seen a .rpm or a .deb requiring snapd to install. If that's really the case, better avoid this software altogether :)

And if you want a native client for FreeBSD to be made available, please let them know:

let-them-know.png

Whattteva In 2004, we tried to get Linux to work for my company but failed to understand it and get things to work. We tried FreeBSD and things booted up the first time. We had 10 developers all using FreeBSD as their desktop for 16 years. We did web development, embedded systems and robotics, audio and video editing.

We never concerned ourselves with what Linux or Windows used or what they were doing. When we needed a tool or software, and didn't have time to create our own, we used what was available for FreeBSD. A couple of times I recall putting Linux or Windows in a VM to run something so we could copy and transfer it to our system.

Not being able to do something on the desktop was never a concern of ours and never hampered our progress.

I do find it problematic that some posts tend to be a bit passive aggressive.
That may be because the community aims to assist those who want to install, run, or upgrade FreeBSD as-is. Discussions about what FreeBSD needs to be, or needs to add, or needs to lose, are pointless on the forums. Those discussions are best held on the FreeBSD mailing lists, where active development and maintenance of the operating system are discussed and performed in excruciating detail.

It's a stark contrast from say Deb Goodkin's tone (Executive Director of FreeBSD Foundation) who's a lot more friendly
Possibly because that is her job. Have you had any responses from the mailing lists?
hopefully make it popular enough that FreeBSD can eventually deprecate the Linux compatibility layer.
It will never happen. Since the 70's, people have choosen to write proprietary or non-portable applications for OS platforms you don't happen to run. Its like saying that one day Linux can deprecate Wine. Never going to happen, especially with the Steam DRM Platform that is pioneering it. And that is fine, there is loads of great software out there... stop choosing ones that don't work on your preferred OS!

Not sure why sometimes one feels the need to be a jackass when they have nothing of value to add...
And what value have you added exactly? File any bugs? Help anyone on these forums? All you've done is complain about how Freebsd is not Linux. This is explicitly against forum rules.
but you do you if that's what strikes your fancy, this is the internet after all.
I don't need or want your permission to be jackass or do anything else I might fancy.

Reactions: mer
I don't understand the issue. If one needs something that runs only on Linux or Windows, run it in bhyve or virtualbox, tuck it in a corner and be done with it. We did this all the time at my company when we had some outlier company that used something we didn't.
The only issue I have with bhyve is the resolution when I runs GUI. It doesn't support 4k resolution and I have a 4k monitor. Everything appears small in the center of the monitor.

Back