Font issues in Gnome3

Hi all,
I have recently installed FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE. I wanted to install GNOME2, but found that it is deleted from the ports. So, I had to install GNOME3. The installation went on fine.
Like most of users, I stick to a font of my choice, and the font resolutions (like DPI, anti-aliasing etc). Here are my preferences:

a. Font name: Luxi Mono Regular
b. Font size : 13
c. DPI : 105
d. anti-aliasing: full

I tried to set these in a gnome-terminal. I was able to set only the font and the size in the "preferences" of gnome-terminal. I was unable to set the DPI.

My issues are the following, and I seek your kind help in this regard:

1. When I set the font to size greater than 10, the font starts showing as sort-of "bold", which is undesirable.
2. I tried to use gconf-editor and dconf-editor to set the DPI settings, but could not find the 'font_rendering' option under 'desktop/gnome'
3. I also tried to use gnome-tweak-tool, but there, the DPI is a 'scaling factor', which I am not too sure what to set to achieve DPI of 105.
3. Also, I am interested to know if these settings are stored, and can be changed, from a text-file. (where are these configurations stored ??)

I did not see any of these issues while using GNOME2. I tried using 'MATE' which is known to be a clone of GNOME2, but faced similar issues with font-rendering. (Is there any other alternative to GNOME2 ??)

Could you please suggest me some tips to get the same look-and-feel in GNOME3/MATE as I used to get in GNOME2 for the above preferences of mine ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sreeram

Hi,
I have chosen to post these questions in this thread, because it is related to configuring an already installed GNOME3. I hope I am on the right forum.

Regards,
Sreeram

Hi,
I have chosen to post these questions in this thread, because it is related to configuring an already installed GNOME3. I hope I am on the right forum.

Regards,
Sreeram
As I remember you have "Settings" and "Gnome Tweek Tool'. GTT has font option.

Hi all,
Thanks for your kind response. I did try the gnome-tweak-tool - however, it did not help much.
Basically, this is the kind of setting I prefer:

(In GNOME2)
[sreeram]$ xrdb -query
Xcursor.size: 24
Xcursor.theme: dmz-aa
Xcursor.theme_core: true
Xft.antialias: 1
Xft.dpi: 105
Xft.hinting: 1
Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
Xft.rgba: none

How do I get the same settings to be done in GNOME3 ? Is there any file, I can edit/create, which makes xrdb to get these values.?
Also, from where does xrdb read these values from ?

Kindly help, please.

Regards,
Sreeram

Back